Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Gallon Nano

+2
Michael Milligan
Bluntokian
6 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

10 Gallon Nano - Page 4 Empty Re: 10 Gallon Nano

Post by Michael Milligan December 19th 2010, 5:46 pm

Are you planning on this tank having lots of macros?
Michael Milligan
Michael Milligan
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 19th 2010, 5:50 pm

Wasnt at first but I actually like the look of the tank right now. Also just spotted a juvinile serpent star of some kind that tagged a long. Tank is filling in great imo. Il have pics up ASAP. Kind of having a problem with getting batteries to work in any of the cameras lately.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 19th 2010, 5:56 pm

Also the other 2 macros are red gracilaria and Red Titan Algae.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 20th 2010, 5:20 pm

Just found an emerald crab molt. Looks about 6 hours old and was starting to turn white. Hopefully we'll see a super sized algae pwning crab in a couple days Very Happy
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Milligan December 20th 2010, 6:59 pm

lol!

I had a red rock crab that molted and ended up more than twice the size!

Unfortunately about the only thing is won't "pwn" in algae. If only I needed a crab to bulldoze the rocks around and snap off all my tube worms! Sad

"Crabby Appleton" gets a 5gal all to himself now. He sure doesn't seem to mind is smaller accommodation. But he ate all the friends I tried to give him.

NOTE: this species is an awful addition to a reef tank. He can be the king of my "pod" tank.
Michael Milligan
Michael Milligan
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 20th 2010, 9:22 pm

lol my little emerald crab (apply named toby...Dont ask...he looked like a toby) is funny as crap to watch. I swear him and the zebra hermit have a little friendly rivalry going on. Everytime I spot toby the zebra isnt far behind to get to him and they have little stand offs for a couple[ minutes then both just dissapear again. Havent even had anything snap at the YCG yet which actually was rather surprising.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 24th 2010, 1:54 pm

Spotted a TIIINY little neon green (from the zoas obviously) nudibranch zoa munching earlier. Just finished the dip. Got a half inch bristle worm and the little nudibranch off the frag. One polyp released zoax but nothing else really happened. Just put them back in the tank we'll see how they do

EDIT: Almost forgot, looks like 2/3 of the algae in the tank is dieing off. Either that or its just really thick for no reason lol. Still got problems with the glass I think I need to pick up some more snails. Im gunna give the emerald crab another day or 2 and im declaring him dead. If he wouldnt have dissapeared I think I would be sitting pretty right now all things considered.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 26th 2010, 10:35 pm

Okay so about 2 days ago I thought I saw a worm and upon closer examination i concluded it was a terd. I couldnt however figure out how it managed to wiggle and fight the current the way it did for a second. Well....I have now concluded that it was indeed a worm. I been watching it swim around for about 15 minutes now and its about 1-1/4" long and about 1/8th of and inch wide, Light tan, and wiggles like crazy. It looks like its about a 1/2" wide when it starts really "swimming". Dont have time to ID it atm so any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can ID it tomorrow
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by animalmaster6 December 28th 2010, 4:29 pm

I love the scape.

Nice YWG!
animalmaster6
animalmaster6
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 28th 2010, 7:22 pm

Its actually a YCG. Thanks man I need to look and see if theres pics of the new scape and stuff. I dont remember what the last pics was. Gotta find the camera though >.>
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 31st 2010, 6:56 pm

Finally found a camera and some decent batteries. First picture is of when I first vaccuumed and re-done the scape. The rest are of as is about 5 minutes before typing this. Ive been thinking and I believe my problem is a combination of silicates due to the well water (if there is any problems with the water. Cant really test it that great with my current supplies) and the rubble bottom. Im thinking of either replace the rubble or adding sand to make it a broad range grain size DSB. Anyway on to the pictures.

Before pictures I almost forgot. Current stock: 2 Scarlet Hermit Crabs, 1 Zebra Hermit Crab, 1 Red tipped (or mexican sumn nother as fintastic is concerned) Hermit Crab, 1 Zerba Turbo Snail, 2 Black Turbo Snails, and 1 Yellow Clown Goby. I am going to do a little more reading for this tank in the next couple days as I have been doing a lot of reading for the 55 the past couple weeks about adding sand/swapping the rubble for sand. If so when I go to fintastic again I will be picking up a replacement emerald crab and 3 Nassarius snails due to the fact I cant get a piece off my frozen mixture small enough to feed just the YCG. I usually have about 7/8's of the food just going into the rubble bed and I think its killing me.

10 Gallon Nano - Page 4 P1010040
10 Gallon Nano - Page 4 P1010041
10 Gallon Nano - Page 4 P1010042
10 Gallon Nano - Page 4 P1010043
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 31st 2010, 9:32 pm

Well I did the substrate swap. Just finished it I have an average depth of about 2 1/2" of sand. I get a lot better flow this way as well. Now whether this change is gunna help me or hurt me we'll find out in the next couple days. But after seeing the water I pulled out of the bottom of the tank and the ease it was disturbed I dont think it could possibly be worse.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian January 3rd 2011, 3:22 am

So after being shot down on Acros iv been doing a little more reading (with this tank in mind over the 55 obviously) and I have come to the conclusion of 2 things. A: Most people REALLY dont know crap about what CFL's can do. and B: I have as good of lighting as I expected however I will not be getting any acros I think. At least not until either I can move them to the 55 if they get mad or I get a little 70W MH for the tank. Either way I go I think I can score some coral for this tank when I start purchasing for the 55. Dont know why I thought I had to wait forever to start adding coral >.>
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian January 4th 2011, 8:29 pm

Scored some pretty epic macro shots tonight. Give me a little bit and il put some up.

Okay picture time. Wish the camera wasnt so obviously digital with the pictures. Have to figure out how to fix that...

EDIT: Wow just saw how terrible of a FTS that is. Have to get one without 1/6th of the tank cut off.

10 Gallon Nano - Page 4 Img_0410
10 Gallon Nano - Page 4 Img_0411
10 Gallon Nano - Page 4 Img_0412
10 Gallon Nano - Page 4 Img_0413
10 Gallon Nano - Page 4 Img_0414
10 Gallon Nano - Page 4 Img_0415
10 Gallon Nano - Page 4 Img_0416
10 Gallon Nano - Page 4 Img_0417
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian January 5th 2011, 7:01 pm

Wow so I just noticed the 5th little zoa there. Apparently I wasnt paying attention because hes probably a 2 or 3 day old split and I believe as you can see theres 2 others about to split.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Milligan January 5th 2011, 7:40 pm

Nice diatoms.... why don't you clean your tank already! hehehe j/k
Michael Milligan
Michael Milligan
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian January 5th 2011, 8:58 pm

Lol maybe I will...Then again maybe im farming phyto? Razz Anyway just got back from petsmart. Finally got some live sand to get a good seed in the tank. Saw a weird worm in there earlier I need to ID otherwise as much as I hate bag sand (not really I just dont wanna hear anyone yell at me) I went ahead and got it. Also may be getting rid of the YCG and just merging this tank into the 55 when I start it up so I have space in my room for the 55. Other wise I have to hear non stop complaining about the tank being in the living room and making the TV look dim...
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian January 8th 2011, 9:42 pm

Well so far iv only spotted to other hitch hikers after the mysterious worm. Now I have yet another mysterious worm. Also saw my first nassarius snail from the live sand on the glass today. Just fed, I was going to spot feed the zoas but for some reason they closed up tonight. For the past week theyve been open 24/7
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian January 8th 2011, 9:56 pm

So just to be a little redundent (Spellcheck addition?) I just re tested my tap. Double tested nitrate at 0 ammonia and nitrite at 0 PH incredibly low at around 7.2. Otherwise nothing out of the ordinary that I can currently test for that would account for having bryopsis or cyano.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4