Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Gallon Nano

+2
Michael Milligan
Bluntokian
6 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

10 Gallon Nano - Page 3 Empty Re: 10 Gallon Nano

Post by Bluntokian November 29th 2010, 4:42 pm

Well Im not really worried about it. Im not going to add a second one. If I have any pairs il buy them paired (saves trouble in a small tank) As for perching and playing I have the perfect rock already in there for him to play with so he shouldnt give the new ones too much trouble. Im only worried about any nipping which if I get 4 or 5 at once hopefully wont be a problem.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian November 29th 2010, 4:55 pm

Oh the usefulness of acclimation...Doubles as a WC Very Happy...Btw its a scarlet reef hermit not a red tipped...For the first time in history fintastic actually knew what they was looking at...Had a guy up there try to tell me the nassarius snails were dwarf ceriths...when I told the manager his face said it all. From the way he was talking I might have a job up there too Very Happy
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian November 29th 2010, 5:58 pm

Uhh...A thought occurs...Dont I uhh...Need sand with nassarius snails?
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian November 29th 2010, 6:37 pm

Well hell I guess he felt like proving me wrong. Tried for a minute and couldnt get under...Turns around and now hes about 3/4 covered.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian November 29th 2010, 8:57 pm

Okay just got back from picking up food at petsmart. crab has ate a 1" x 2" rectangle"of diatoms up. Did a 25% water change. Confirmed bacteria growing on the bare rock where there wasnt diatoms so the seeding was successful and the bio - spira was good but not neccessary. The gobie is still in the same cave he hid in from the get go. Hopefully he'll come out tonight. Im about to cut the light off now. I picked up a mini mag float and a pack of mysis and a pack of brine shrimp. Im going to melt them down and mix them so he can take his pick on which he likes. The hermit has been named "Luther" after my great great grandpaw by my mom.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian November 30th 2010, 3:39 pm

Took the nassarius back today and exchanged it for a black (or mexican) turbo. I figured since the hermit has a name I have to name him. So now we have luther and vandros . Saw the clown goby for a couple minutes he came out to see whats going on and watched me watch him for a minute or two and then retreated to the back side of the island.luther and vandros are both leaving a trail of white rock behind them already..sadly enough im looking at them now and lughter has ran across the tank it is climbing on vandros back...whew okay...he climbed over him...Im going to be watching those 2 lol. Planning on getting a few hawaiin zebra hermits on my next trip up there. Supposedly they only get about half an inch so im looking into tit
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent November 30th 2010, 4:05 pm

I checked a few sites via google and it's really up in the air with those hermits. Some people report them tearing apart their invertebrate life, and others report no problems... I dunno what to say really. Maybe you could feed them every so often or something, and keep lot's of snail shells around.
Brent
Brent
Garibaldi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian November 30th 2010, 4:11 pm

I think il get 2 zebras and another red tip (confirmed after a good look) I dont want to get another turbo because they cover so much ground. But I can put in special orders on there website now so its open game. Ideas? Btw I want to do a peaceful gobie tank so fish ideas are appreciated as well.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent November 30th 2010, 4:15 pm

What website?
Brent
Brent
Garibaldi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian November 30th 2010, 4:16 pm

Actually scratch that. Apparently iv already seen all the gobiese that fit my criteria so...Fish ideas in general? LFS website
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent November 30th 2010, 4:22 pm

I think a tangaroa goby would fit your tank pretty well. (:
Brent
Brent
Garibaldi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian November 30th 2010, 4:25 pm

How about my CUC? I think il drop the second red tipped hermit. 3 hermits are going to be enough "fun" as it is lol. I need something thatll be good at getting on the rocks because now my rocks are basically a wall straight up and down. Infact theres almost no places that arent -10 degrees or more for them to climb up.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent November 30th 2010, 4:47 pm

I'm not sure... You may eventually want some nerites for your glass. As for the rock, possibly an emerald crab?
Brent
Brent
Garibaldi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian November 30th 2010, 5:05 pm

Would it be good at getting into 1/4" and 1/8" crevices? Sorry Iv never been good at CUC's I planned on getting a few nerites. Im debating now. Do I get an emerald crab...a pistol shrimp...or both and overstock >.>
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian November 30th 2010, 5:32 pm

Decided id take some pics...Took forever to figure out how to get the camera to get a good pic of the goby.

FTS
10 Gallon Nano - Page 3 Img_0310
Luther and Vandros doin they thing.
10 Gallon Nano - Page 3 Img_0311
HES TINY!!!
10 Gallon Nano - Page 3 Img_0312
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent November 30th 2010, 6:00 pm

Very brown! ;D

Looks great so far.

As for the CUC I wouldn't overstock. I'd personally get the emerald over the pistol, but that's just me.

-e

Not sure on the crevices. You'll have to ask someone else there.
Brent
Brent
Garibaldi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian November 30th 2010, 6:12 pm

Yea its that top crest piece im worried about....I think il be okay though il get the emerald crab.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 1st 2010, 4:59 pm

Now before I start todays livestock update I would like to go ahead and remind everyone of that one time they saw something in there LFS that anyone in the area ever had and decided that even against there better judgement they would get. Well today was my first time. Even though I know it is seriously ahead of time and I should have waited. I decided with my last $40 dollars I would get my emerald crab...2 zebra hermits...and a zoa frag...If theres anything I can get credit for though its that they didnt have nerites and apparently hadnt had them available for awhile. So at least its not like I skimped out on my CUC for it. Only other decent snail they had was black turbos and I wasnt about to get more because I dont want them starving to death. Case and point: The 6 that turned into a 20 that turned into an algae pit. But this is the last things I pay for for the tank until I get my shotgun paid off. However...I do intend on talking my mom into a few things so stocking is still an open book.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent December 1st 2010, 5:02 pm

Ahahahaha

Well good luck. (:
Brent
Brent
Garibaldi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 1st 2010, 8:08 pm

Thanks. Zoas were opened up completely about 10 minutes after I put them in.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 10th 2010, 1:22 pm

Well im home from work on lunch right now. Havent got around to taking pictures. Depending on if I get paid today or not I might take some later on tonight. Working on the frag racks for the 55 while im on break.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero December 10th 2010, 7:19 pm

Clean it up haha Wink.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 14th 2010, 2:33 pm

Lol pf I could have swore I replied to that last night at the hotel. Anyway...One of my zebras lost its shell a couple days before I left and I was trying to see if I could find him molted or if the others had killed him, but, I think the red tipped or scarlet or whatever I finally ID'ed him as ate them both. Im still trying to find the second shell but when I added them he stayed behind the rock and now we have a empty shell and a MIA shell with him happily patrolling the front left corner of the tank so im not sure.

The rubble bed is about to get dropped down also, I need to get the rock I chisled up out from under the main structure since its doing nothing but leaking whatever bleach and stuff is left to leach out. I also need to finish rounding out my CUC when I work enough to be able to get some more snails or whatever I end up getting. Completely side tracked from whats been going on though.

The YCG survived an amazing 6 (Maybe 7) days with no food. And he was going on aprrox. 1.5 full grown mysis shrimp from the previous feed so at least I know that I can really skimp on feeding and him still be okay (I dont know about once a week but you know) Havent spotted the emerald crab since I got back but again I havent really looked.

Just aired out the ATO (2 liter bottle. Either wont stop draining till its 1/8th empty from where it started or wont suck air to start again) water level is almost about where 1.023 was but I woke up to my mom yellin and I got up and started my WC and just as I dumped the water like 5 minutes after I got up she called me out to ride with her down there with nothing but what I had on so im letting that level out and then im going to finish the wc lol. Probably going to finish it and then in 2 or 3 hours do another and then repeat. Maybe mix up some more salt and do that again next week to slowly swap out 5 gallons so I can get these diatoms under control. They arent bad but the tank looks like its stuck in the bloom phase of cycling. Everything reads 0 on tests so im assuming the rock is still leaching a minor amount of bleach. Which would also explain why my zoas arent too happy. Salinity roller coaster from my ATO probably dosent help much either...Il devise a way to fix that later on tonight if I remember and have time.

Another blog post yall sorry...^@%!...Now I gotta go back and make it paragraphed...oops...
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 15th 2010, 4:56 pm

Just made room for the skimmer. Need to move a couple of my 6500k light mounts in the hood to make room and give a little better light. I also think im going to switch out 1 of the 6500's for another blue party light to see how it looks and how the zoas re act. I think I figured out why they havent been happy the past couple weeks, The hermits got in a little war over the frag disc and jostled them around out of the flow. Now they are about 6 inches from the outlet of my azoo 1200 and directly in its path. Not 2 minutes after I sat them down they was trying to open up while getting clobbered with detritus from the WC/gravel vaccuum. Swapped out 5 Gallons of water with the vacuum and decided id move the rocks around to get it all loose for the vaccuum and ended up re doing my aquascape. I kinda like it now >.>

I am going to have to restrict the flow intake on the skimmer once I get the diatoms under control otherwise I cant possibly get a dry skim with it without a sump. Got a rock stuck in it temporarily and letting it skim a little wet.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 19th 2010, 5:17 pm

Just got back from fintastic. Scored some interesting info and some nice freebies. Paid for a zebra turbo, 2 black turbos and a scarlet hermit. I got all that plus a second scarlet free shells chaeto and 2 macros.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next