Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temperate Mantis Shrimp

2 posters

Go down

Temperate Mantis Shrimp Empty Temperate Mantis Shrimp

Post by ZROGST June 6th 2013, 1:01 pm

I'm going to be receiving a Micro-Reefs 2g temperate tank in the mail soon, so I set out looking at livestock options. One thing I've been considering is a Mantis tank. The information about temperate species is scattered and incomplete at best.

Dr. Roy Caldwell is the guy to talk to about stomatopods, so I started with his resource Roy's List.

Hemisquilla californiensis - 60-65F
Pseudosquillopsis marmorata - 57-62F
Squilla empusa - 65-78F

Those are the only three species listed in this resource as living in water under 66F

Dr. Caldwell responded publicly to this question on 6/25/2007:

There are several temperate water stomatopods as well as many that are found quite deep and therefore live in cooler waters. For example, there are four species of stomatopod found in Southern California living in water termperatures from 15-18 C. They are Hemisquilla californiensis, Pseudosquillopsis marmorata, Nannosquilla anomola, and Schmittius politus. N. anomola has only been taken from the Channel Islands (San Clemente Island) (5 - 23 M), S. politus occurs from Monterey Bay to Punta Abreojos, Mexico (12-185 m), H. californiensis from Point Conception to Golfo de Chirique, Panama (4 - 100 m, but generally found at 7 - 30 m), and P. marmorata occurs from Pt. Conception to the Galapagos Islands (0 - 100 m, usuall 3 - 30 m). As sea surface temperatures warm, some stomatopods maybe extending their ranges furture into temperate waters. I have found P. marmorata as far north as Tamales Bay and Hemisquilla larvae in Monterey Bay.

On the East Coast, there are several stomatopods reported from as far north as the Hudson River and Squilla empusa occurs as far north as Maine.

In Europe, Rissoides desmaresti, a squillid is found off England. There are several squillids off the temperate coast of Chile, a healthy stomatopod fauna off Southern Australia and Tasmania, etc. I would estimate that between 5 and 10% of stomatopod species are temperate. However, they do not get into the Artic or Anartic.

Roy

I also messaged Dr. Caldwell directly yesterday to get updated feedback. Here is his response to the question about keeping a mantis in 2g 55F tank:

Daniel,

Thanks for the kind words. This would be a challenge. There are no smashers that live at these temperatures - except Hemisquilla and it gets way too large. Also the California species is not found at temperatures below about 58. That holds true for the other three species of Southern California stomatopods. There are several small lysiosquilloids and squilloids that burrow in soft sediments in waters around 55, but they are extremely difficult to get and most are from southern New Zealand and Australia. The most common is Heterosquilla (several species).

There are small deep water squillids that live at these temperatures, but they are rarely dredged alive.

Roy

I've messaged him back requesting further feedback about species that can live in a nano tank from 55F to 66F, and how a hobbyist would best recreate the environment of a burrowing mantis. Hopefully he will respond, and I can share the information here.

I'm hoping I can find a suitable species (Looking at Pseudosquillopsis marmorata currently) for the tank, and have Josh & Stu pick one up for me.
ZROGST
ZROGST
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Temperate Mantis Shrimp Empty Re: Temperate Mantis Shrimp

Post by AquaticEngineer June 6th 2013, 5:31 pm

I'll get on it! I know Josh has been wanting to bring in the temperate mantis' for a long time, we even sourced them out of so cal at one point but didnt know if anyone was interested.

I will start getting in contact with the people I talked to before and see what we can come up with Very Happy
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by ZROGST June 6th 2013, 6:16 pm

Awesome - I think it's kind of a perfect match: both the temperate and mantis husbandry are starting to pick up following with hobbyists. Why not both?

A large temperate tank would be easy: Hemisquilla californiensis is a smasher, lives in rockwork, grows huge (the largest of all the mantis) with wonderful coloring.

For the nano, it will be a fun challenge. Let me know what you come up with Stu! I should have the tank by next week and if it's possible to house a mantis then that's what I'm set on for this tank.
ZROGST
ZROGST
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down