Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temperate water supplementation?

3 posters

Go down

Temperate water supplementation? Empty Temperate water supplementation?

Post by mel885 August 28th 2013, 4:38 pm

Hello All,

I am in charge of the care of a handful of temperate marine aquariums.  These contain several crustaceans.  The water I use is natural sea water but the source is deficient in Calcium and Magnesium.  I have been supplementing calcium to boost the levels but I am wondering what, if any, supplements people use on their temperate tanks with crustaceans.  Does anyone supplement iodine as you would in a tropical reef tank?  If you do what dose do you use?  I am assuming it would be lower than the bottle says since the bio load of inverts is lower and physiology moves slower in general in colder water but I don't know if I should use a half dose, quarter dose, or none at all.  Are there any other supplement considerations I'm not thinking of?

Also, does anyone have any experience keeping Deep Sea Isopods?  I would be interested in any information people may have on their general care requirements.
mel885
mel885
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Temperate water supplementation? Empty Re: Temperate water supplementation?

Post by naturenz September 1st 2013, 4:34 am

NSW in NZ is down on calc and mag, i don't bother adding supplements in temperate tanks
naturenz
naturenz
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer September 3rd 2013, 1:40 pm

Easier than dosing supplements would be just doing regular water changes with a quality brand of salt.  The trace elements in just a bit of new saltwater should be more than enough, especially if done regularly Smile
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down