Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

random boredness

5 posters

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

random boredness - Page 2 Empty Re: random boredness

Post by Bluntokian August 30th 2009, 4:58 am

feeders for the F8s when i get them...figured id go ahead and get them breeding buy less now than id have to if i got them when i get the F8s

And yes they are in a seperate tank there in a 5 gallon with a guppy from the lake and 2 of our goldfish at the moment until i find a cheap tank for the goldfish to all fit into. then il have a 5 gallon for snails and the guppies will go to the 10 gallon

OOO i gotta get my tank ready quick liveaquaria dropped the F8's from 499 to 349 starting price
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero August 30th 2009, 11:00 am

F8's are not piscivorous (fish eaters). But they will enjoy a healthy diet of mysis shrimp, brine shrimp (small amounts, rather unhealthy for puffs), mussels, prawns, etc. But not fish.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian August 30th 2009, 5:45 pm

well dang...thats a party pooper...now i gotta go explain why we have guppies breeding for no reason...

btw i got 2 questions for ya since your the only one really helping me: #1: do you know if the marineland biowheel filter would be good for the sand/puffers? petsmart has them with triple filterring they have the bio-wheel a carbon cartridge and a regular filter all individually removable (accept the biowheel ofcourse) and #2: happen to know where i can order mysis shrimp from? going to charlotte soon hopefully to check the only fish store i have lol but just incase
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero August 30th 2009, 7:40 pm

Live mysis? I have no idea. Why not just go with ghosties or glass shrimp. I have heard good things about those filters. I think it would work fine. AquaClear is also a good brand. Either one would work.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian August 30th 2009, 7:56 pm

aight man thanks...btw im going to try and get my mom to do some more research on them just to help me out so she might ask you a few questions also

and btw i got a bottle of ammonia today says its ammonium hydroxide and surfactant with no phosphorus i was wonderring if i could use it for a fishless cycle
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero August 30th 2009, 8:22 pm

Yes it will help. Does it convert ammonia to nitrates? It should be fine.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian August 30th 2009, 8:51 pm

lol ok im going to wait till thursday to start adding because this filter isnt doing anything to the cloudiness so sunday im probably going to get atleast another bag of aragonite the filter and maybe some other odd and end things but my question is what do you feed baby ghost shrimp?

Also turning it over to my mom because she has questions to ask you

Is there a special test kit that works for everything?
Which puffer is best to get a GSP or F8?
What brand of products is best to use for these fish?
Can these fish breed in captivity?
What foods or animals do you feed these fish and can you raise
them in a different tank?
Can you use algae eaters in this tank?
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero August 30th 2009, 9:33 pm

1) http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4345+4454&pcatid=4454, this brand of test kit can be found in almost any aquarium supply store. Its a FW test kit and works well.

2) Its all really preference however i would say F8 for a beginner aquarists. Also GSP requires SW as grown adults. I would recommend the F8.

3) Fluval canister filters will work well on BW and FW aquaria. I recommend using one of these.

4) It is possible but extremely rare.

5) Hard shelled foods. Shrimp, crabs, mussels and clams from your grocery store, and snails, Snails and ghost shrimp are easy to breed.

6) Nerite snails can be used as algae cleaners in BW aquaria. Mollies also can be acclimated to SW and eat hair algae.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian August 30th 2009, 9:41 pm

she said ok that answers my questions aight and the link is dead says it cant find it...however im thinking you linked the master kit from API witch is what i want to get. and sorry btw i told her all those answers but she didnt believe me

oh and 24 hours later water is still just as cloudy as it was in the pic
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero August 30th 2009, 9:49 pm

Yeah that's the test kit. Whats wrong with the answers? Well i might try a water change.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero August 30th 2009, 9:49 pm

http://centralpets.com/animals/fish/freshwater_inverts/fwi4997.html breeding ghost shrimp.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian August 30th 2009, 10:03 pm

well umm...she got pergnant with me from rape...so ofcourse im not exactly the favorite lol im goin to try about a 50% water change i guess. i havent declhorinated the water so my bacterias dead but thursday i plan on getting it as close to set up without adding decor or fish get the new filter and all and start adding ammonia and on that note do you think that building the bacteria up to an insane amount would be overkill? like just adding as much as it takes to have it almost to 0 the next morning?
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero August 30th 2009, 10:29 pm

Sorry to hear that. I dont think you can ever have to much biological filtration. However i would only use as much as needed in case you ever need more.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian August 30th 2009, 10:47 pm

yea i got 2 seed runs left in my sample bottle so since shes talking about 150 on thursday il probably take the spare and get more bacteria and some metaflix (?) and the primafix (?) just incase and go ahead and de worm my guppies and goldfish because im pretty sure they got them bad...plus i want to kill the goldfish...bastards keep jumpin out of the tank and landing on me when i sit near either tank
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero August 30th 2009, 11:00 pm

Find a home for the goldfish. Your guppies will reproduce like mad so i would give them away to. Turn the tanks into breeders for snails and shrimp. Yeah those are both good things to have in case.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian August 30th 2009, 11:04 pm

yea il give the guppies to my uncle after i treat them he feed his 70 gallon with guppies, so that should work, but im going to treat them out of respect for his tank first. The goldfish however...its kill them or take that 150 dollars to get them a new tank as my mom will NOT get rid of them...i think they are more her fish to enjoy than my brothers...but hell i had to do the water swaps ammonia checks and all on her tanks earlier...i gave her my 10 gallon because she had 5 huge goldfish in a 3 gallon...she put 3 in the 10 and hell its been 8 months and she hasnt replaced the filter done a WC or rinsed the bio filter since (supposed to change every month and rinse every 2 weeks....) iv done the WC and the occasional rinsing but she wont even buy new filters
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero August 30th 2009, 11:08 pm

Killing is very inhumane. I guess the only thing you have to do is get another tank :p

Very irresponsible of your mother to not take care of her pets.

Last edited by Pufferfreak on August 30th 2009, 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian August 30th 2009, 11:11 pm

yea i know its inhumane but if i was going to do it i would honestly have to figure out the fastest way im not a cruelty to animals type person (2 cats one was a stray...sittin on my lap atm...a german shep parrot the goldfish 4 guppies all as healthy as i can get them)

however with my mom...yes...she never understood the reason of spending money on anything besides food and bills...its took me 16 years but im finally teaching her lol

but yea im going to *try* to get her to rehome them...even if its donating to...cant believe im saying it...petsmart...
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero August 30th 2009, 11:15 pm

Post on craigslist to.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian August 30th 2009, 11:32 pm

she just told me the goldfish arent going anywhere...and shes wanting to hook up the 5-10 filter for a 50 gallon tank someone we know has with no filter or anything just the tank...shes umm...yea...peeing me off...50 gallons FOR FIVE GOLDFISH!?!!? man i swear...then on top of that our routers fried so shes wanting me to let her fiance come back here and mess around for 4 or 5 hours in my room on the web...and yet im supposed to learn everything i can in the next week or 2 because shes going to let the phone and the web get cut off since she has a cell phone...and i stay here by myself 24/7....
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero August 30th 2009, 11:37 pm

Wow. So no filter for the 50 Gallon then? Your going to need a good canister. That actually is a better arrangement for the fish however. They are very messy fish.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian August 30th 2009, 11:39 pm

nah my 55 has a filter...i was thinking about it and instead of shelling out on a canister when i get the bio-wheel il set it up on the other end of the tank with a powerhead pushing water flow across the front down the length of the tank to get the same effect but theres is going to have that same old raggedy 10 gallon tank if she gets it...with no stand...
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero August 30th 2009, 11:46 pm

Wait. The goldfish are going in the 55 planned for the puffs?!
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian August 30th 2009, 11:53 pm

no she knows someone who has a 50 gallon shes sold the lights and everything only thing left is the tank and shes planning on getting it without a stand ect and put a 10 gallon tank filter on it with a 8 month old filter and putting the 5 goldfish (none longer than 4") and a algae eater in it and expecting them to be ok...dude my ammonia tester goes up 2 8.0 on the card and its hunter green at 8...i tested the goldfish tank the test came back so dark blue it was black accept the drops stuck on the top of the container and i had to rinse it 3 times to get the water clear
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero August 30th 2009, 11:54 pm

Those poor fish. Its to bad they are so hardy.....Sad. I wonder how long there going to last.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next