Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nautilus

3 posters

Go down

The Nautilus Empty The Nautilus

Post by Hero October 18th 2009, 4:03 am

My LFS in SD had one of these. Legal? I don't know but i was really shocked to see it.

Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

The Nautilus Empty Re: The Nautilus

Post by Feelers July 15th 2012, 9:19 am

They are legal but not recommended for the hobby, if you talk to your LFS guys please ask them kindly not to order more. They have a precarious existence and it is very likely they are under threat. As pets they are also very boring, spending the whole day sitting in one place holding onto the glass. In the wild they can live for 16 years, but in a tank you are lucky if you get 3. The tanks need to be kept in mostly darkness, lighting can actually cause eye damage. The tank needs to be very tall and cold.

In summation these amazing animals should be left in the sea. Very Happy

Conclusions

Our data indicate that Osprey Reef is sparsely populated by Nautilus pompilius relative to catch reports from other populations [19]. Despite its low abundance, the species is easily attracted to baited traps and so can be taken efficiently by fishers. Indeed, small-scale fisheries can rapidly induce declines in catch rates [19]. As such, our population estimates and other measurements of the species' life history traits [5] represent essential information for estimating sustainable Nautilus fishing targets. Although Nautilus fishing is not permitted at Osprey Reef, our data and approach provide those tasked with managing other populations with the necessary tools for sustainable use. Further, with the assistance of species experts, existing and new biological data on Nautilus and Allonautilus species are currently being evaluated to determine their conservation status and the impact of international trade. The results of this study are therefore a critical step forward in this process.
Feelers
Feelers
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero August 7th 2012, 2:46 am

Thanks for the heads up! Very Happy
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by salina6 January 16th 2014, 12:24 am

The PBS special said they live 2 years in the wild, but I guess only 6 months in captivity.
salina6
salina6
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum