Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rapide's Tide pool - The Krypto

2 posters

Go down

Rapide's Tide pool - The Krypto Empty Rapide's Tide pool - The Krypto

Post by Rapide January 13th 2013, 8:16 am

This is my 37 liter (10gallon) Tide pool/Rock pool nano tank.
The tank is 50x25x30 cm rimless standard Waterhome aquarium.
The tank is lit with Reef Republic LED that is operated by a GHL ProfiLux plus II. It has 10 000K white, royal blue, red and UV LEDs.
Skimmer is an Aqua Medic Miniflotor that I have changed a bit. Initially it was too tall for this small tank, so I had to make it fit under the LED. I will also make a small draining tube, as soon as I find the right size fitting for it.
For filtration there is an Aqua Clear overhang filter with activated carbon and PO4 media.
For circulation I put in a Tunze Nanostream behind the rocks.
Naturally, there is no heater - this is meant to be more temperate aquarium. I will add some fans today, so that the temperature would stay a few degrees lower...

All the rocks were taken from my reefs sump. I have a 2500 liter (approx. 660gallon) system. Also, the sand was "living sand" that had been in the reef, and the water is from the sump.

Already there are some feather dusters, snails, bristles, tiny brittle stars etc...
Also, I went and got some cool macro algae from my LFS.

This tank is going to hold mainly anemones. All kinds... There are currently two species of Aiptasia and one small Anemonia majano. Here corals are not on their way, so they aren't pests Cool
Soon I'll also get some Actinia equina and other cool anemones.

This tank is most likely not going to hold any fish. There is two species that I might consider, but that will be decided in the spring time. The anemones are highly predatory, so adding live fish might not be a good idea...
Attachments
Rapide's Tide pool - The Krypto Attachment
Nano1.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(94 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
Nano3.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(114 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
Nano4.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(115 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
Rapide
Rapide
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Rapide's Tide pool - The Krypto Empty Re: Rapide's Tide pool - The Krypto

Post by Rapide January 13th 2013, 8:17 am

Some more pictures...
Attachments
Nano5.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(69 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
Nano6.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(100 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Nano7.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(112 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Rapide
Rapide
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero February 17th 2013, 4:25 pm

Great pictures. How is everything coming along?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rapide April 15th 2013, 2:08 am

The tank has been running for a while now, and everything works really great!
My large reef has been keeping me busy, and I haven't had too much time to play with the nano. Some Actinia anemones have moved in, 12 specimens if I remember right, and some other anemones that I'm not sure of... They are bright green, and look a lot like Bubbletip anemones... They might be some sort of Majanos.

Also there is a Palaemon elegans shrimp pair, a gray pistol shrimp and a lot of snails and small brittle stars there. And needles to say pods everywhere!!

I'm going to upgrade to a 96 litre tank soon. I have had the tank ready for a few moths already, but been too busy.
This new tank has a sump, so I has increase the filtration capacity and get more animals.

I have my eyes on a Dahlia anemone, some Corynactis viridis, some gobies and a pipefish.
Also, I'm planning a collection trip to western Sweden to go and dive some stars, hermits, anemones and maybe some clams and other animals! I was supposed to go in two weeks from now, but because of work I had to move it.

Rapide
Rapide
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by Rapide April 16th 2013, 2:29 pm

Just picked up a Deltec 1350 skimmer for the new larger tank.
Tomorrow I'll start to put it together Smile
Rapide
Rapide
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by Rapide April 19th 2013, 2:17 am

So the tank is now ready for the kick off!
A few days ago I glued all the piping and valves, connected the pumps and sikimmer yesterday and filled the system up and ran it for 12h as a test. Everything works really great!
I drained the tank early this morning before leaving to work (at 4 am this morning). All the glue and other chemical residue should be gone now... I also filled the overflow with bioballs.

The pipe returning to the tank has a ball valve and an anti-siphonage valve. Now I know that the anti-siphonage valve creates rather big back pressure, but I'm willing to upgrade my return pump in the future.
Currently there is a Tunze silence pump for 1400l/h... The flow in the tank is satisfactory.

The only issue is that I still have to paint the ceiling and some of the walls in the room where the tank is located, so I can't fill the tank yet. I'm so exited about this new project that I just might start to paint today Smile
Rapide
Rapide
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down