Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing myself!

3 posters

Go down

Introducing myself! Empty Introducing myself!

Post by Rambo January 12th 2010, 10:27 pm

Hi, my name is James, I am not new to aquariums. I keep 9 tanks. One reef (14g biocube) and a lagoon tank with pipefish, macros, and mangroves. i also just discovered a baby jellyfish in my lagoon, must have just hatched from its anemone stage. all my tanks are biotopes, i absolutely love biotopes as the reason I like reefing is because I am interested in how diverse ecosystems work. And reefs(temperate or tropical) are the most diverse ecosystems on the planet. And I am constantly researching ocean filtration processes and how to recreate antural filtration in the aquarium. I am a huge fan of the Berlin Method, and I have actually created my own method. i studied all the ecosystems of the ocean and put it together to find out that every single one of them interact to keep the ocean prospering. My method of filtration is by creating those ecosystems (seagrasss beds, lagoons, reefs, continental shelf, slope, hydrothermal vents, and abyssal plains) the hardest one to recreate is obviously the hydrothermal vents but their main purpose in the ocean is to provide necessary minerals to the ocean for creatures to use. Therefore dosing chemicals is basicaly recreating the vents and obviously minerals also get washed in from rivers.

Anyways I LOVE temperate water ecosystems. I set up one a few months ago. It cycled and everything was ready to go. But then I realized there was noone who sells temperate water stuff. Now I was planning on taking a collecting trip with a friend to the Texas jetties but it got to cold. I live on the Louisiana coast and its not considered erally coldwater but the water does get into the 50's (Fahrenheit) in the winter. So unfortunately I had to tear down the tank and wait till this summer to collect in Alabama.

i am also a huge fan of picos and nano tanks so I plan on setting up some new temperate water nanos this summer. Or if I can find someone who already has stuff.

Also if any of you sell temperate creatures or know someone who does. Or if you are tearing down your tank. I will happily pay for it to be shipped when I find some money :| . Lastly i want to say that I am not one of those peop-le who join a forum and ask one question and leave i should be here to stay. Very Happy
Rambo
Rambo
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Introducing myself! Empty Re: Introducing myself!

Post by Hero January 13th 2010, 7:04 pm

I'm sure that Jacob or Jamie could hook you up with some nice specimens Very Happy. I'm glad that you have so much experience in reefing! You will be a great addition to our community Smile.

Welcome to TR!
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ~ocean January 13th 2010, 7:34 pm

Welcome to Temperate reef! You'l have a blast here!
~ocean
~ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo January 13th 2010, 8:13 pm

Thanks everyone for the nice welcomes! I am happy to be in the community! I want to try to maybe start a 3-5g temperate pico. Id like to talk to jacob or jamie to see what they are able to get. For the pico Im thinking some
smaller species of anemone
kelp and macros
snails
hermits
maybe one small crab
and just some other inverts like sponges and things like that.
mainly the stocking will consist of macros, kelp, and especially anemones.
i love Cnidarians.

Also do you guys know of any way to diy a chiller for a small pico like this? I really didnt want to have to buy a chiller for such a small tank, theyre so expensive. I have a mini fridge in my room. Is there any way I can somehow use it as a chiller without destroying the fridge? I think im going to have a lot of fun on this forum especially since it is so small right now. Wink
Rambo
Rambo
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo January 13th 2010, 9:03 pm

oh yeah I am looking for more of the tidepool creatures so the water wouldnt have to be super cold. Smile
Rambo
Rambo
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero January 14th 2010, 9:48 pm

Well i would pm them and if you can find anything good from them (which i doubt will happen) check the biotopes section in nano-reef.com and post there.

Also what is the average temp of your house? I see your from louisana too. Whats the temperature of the water?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo January 14th 2010, 10:23 pm

ill try. My house is kept at 65 fahrenhite in the winter and 72 in the summer. In our louisiana waters winter temps get about 52 but this year probably colder. And in summer it can get to about tropical conditions.
Rambo
Rambo
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero January 15th 2010, 8:26 pm

Well it sounds like the waters around there are more sub-tropical. Not a bad thing just different. I would say that if you kept your tank in a relatively cool place that you wouldn't necessarily need a chiller.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo January 15th 2010, 8:30 pm

Yes I would consider it more sub-tropical conditions. But if I just have to wait till summer to collect, and I dont think my temperate reefing blood can survive that. I also just posted my introduction on nano reef! Very Happy
Rambo
Rambo
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Post by ~ocean January 17th 2010, 1:43 pm

Nice! I'm don't know those jamie but jacob is a mod here... ore is that someone else?
~ocean
~ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum