Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Equipment and Gear for Tidepool Collecting??

3 posters

Go down

Equipment and Gear for Tidepool Collecting?? Empty Equipment and Gear for Tidepool Collecting??

Post by AquaticEngineer April 18th 2011, 1:24 pm

Quick question for you guys, what other things would you recommend for gear to go tide pool collecting?

I already have:
***2011 Oregon Fishing Regulations Booklets, and printed info verifying what I'm collecting and where I'm collecting is completely legal***
Neoprene stockingfoot Chest Waders
Neoprene Gloves
Full change of clothes
Knee Pads
Insulated backpack
hand shovel
Rock hammer
Chisel
waterproof flashlight
Polarized Floating sunglasses
water shoes and river sandals w/covered toe
Lots of ziplocks and tupperware for short term retention
Coolers and buckets w/ lids drilled for airlines for long term retention (ie the day and drive home)
Frozen shipping gel packs
Power inverter and air pump with gang valves
A couple large strainers for use as holding stations while collecting in one spot

Any other suggestions or ideas for me?
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Equipment and Gear for Tidepool Collecting?? Empty Re: Equipment and Gear for Tidepool Collecting??

Post by Brent April 18th 2011, 6:50 pm

You seem to have everything covered, although if you wanted to try and catch some more timid / fast inverts, you could use a baited open bottle (possibly with a cone on the end). They will be able to go in, but likely will not get out as they don't have the reasoning skills to recognize the opening. You could weigh it down with wire and some rocks and leave it for a while, then just come back and collect it before you leave. Just make sure you don't lose any!

Oh... and a camera for taking pics of whatever you collect. ;p
Brent
Brent
Garibaldi

Back to top Go down

Equipment and Gear for Tidepool Collecting?? Empty Re: Equipment and Gear for Tidepool Collecting??

Post by AquaticEngineer April 18th 2011, 7:08 pm

I had thought about puting out some modified crayfish traps, but I think the area we are going to only allows collectiong by hand or hand tools.

Camera, duh. Embarassed Forgot that one, lol.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent April 20th 2011, 3:57 pm

Ah, that sucks. I guess that law's not really without reason though, considering all the junk that washes up on shore already. ;]

Haha, nice.
Brent
Brent
Garibaldi

Back to top Go down

Post by 4PacNW April 21st 2011, 7:23 pm

Uhhh hand-net, and a flat knife for chitons, limpets. And oh yea, peeled eyes so you don't get knocked when a 2 foot wave comes at you after a ship goes by. Also, store everything seperately. I think I've had things die from even small amounts of the invasive lined compound tunicate (botrylloides violaceus ) attached to algae: toxins.
4PacNW
4PacNW
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down