Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collecting Algae

3 posters

Go down

Collecting Algae Empty Collecting Algae

Post by Michael Milligan November 14th 2010, 4:29 pm

What tips do you folks have that might help me collecting Macros?

I really haven't had any luck at getting macro growth in my tank. The lights work, I have plenty of non-macro algae!

Normally green algae just falls apart and ends up in my filter pad. Still waiting for some regrowth. Recently I brought home some red algae that I found at a much lower tide and it seems to be doing much better. Is there something to this observation?

red, green, brown? Anything help appreciated. My system finally seems to be running perfectly, good water clarity, living nems... I would like to lower the chance to fowling up the water by adding doomed algae, but at the same time, I want some flora in the tank.

Thanks
Michael Milligan
Michael Milligan
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Collecting Algae Empty Re: Collecting Algae

Post by Rvs October 8th 2011, 10:36 am

Some questions that may help us to discover the problem, if it exist:

1.- is there a fish or inver in the tank?
2.- When you collect the Macro, do you take the entire body, some of the green algae have some kind of "roots" or rhizome (but not roots Smile ) its necessary to collect the algae as complete as possible.
3.- What symptoms present your algae when dies? Macro A. are excellent bioindicators, and their death may be caused by some lack or excess in some parameters like Tº, ph, K of Fe.... color changes, texture changes and physical changes are some symptoms...

When you answer this Q, it will be easier to determinate the cause
Rvs
Rvs
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Milligan October 9th 2011, 3:00 pm

Hey the reply to a year old post! right on Smile I actually found an answer that satisfied me. I think it was a lighting issue. I may be wrong, but my further collecting trips seemed to show that deeper you would find red algae, which did survive in the take. It was the green stuff, "sea lettuce" or "norri" that didn't do well. It's process of death was to get thin and brown grey at the edges and sluff off. They just got smaller and smaller.

I don't have the tank anymore, but when I rebuild one I will stay away from the green algae. I like the bright red stuff more anyhow Smile

Thanks for the reply. This pack of wieners (j/k) love) never even commented on the problem!
Michael Milligan
Michael Milligan
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero October 10th 2011, 1:14 am

Michael Milligan wrote:Hey the reply to a year old post! right on Smile I actually found an answer that satisfied me. I think it was a lighting issue. I may be wrong, but my further collecting trips seemed to show that deeper you would find red algae, which did survive in the take. It was the green stuff, "sea lettuce" or "norri" that didn't do well. It's process of death was to get thin and brown grey at the edges and sluff off. They just got smaller and smaller.

I don't have the tank anymore, but when I rebuild one I will stay away from the green algae. I like the bright red stuff more anyhow Smile

Thanks for the reply. This pack of wieners (j/k) <3) never even commented on the problem!

Once might say, better late than never? Very Happy
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rvs October 10th 2011, 7:03 pm

Bounce So, finally the answer!
I agree... better late than never...

I feel you are correct on the suspect issue....Depending on the depth where you collect the algae, we will define the kind of light...
Algae that grow 10mt below the surface need actinic light and 13.000Kº lights
And algae that grows in estuarine waters above 7 mt need red and white light (3500kº and 6500kº)

And also Depending on the depth where you collect the algae, we will define temperature, estuarine algae need 26º and deepest algae may need less Tº...
...maybe there was the problem...
Rvs
Rvs
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down