Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oregon Coast Temperate Setups.

+12
Michael Milligan
moto826
jared
steveweast
sivart33
Jacobnano
Hero
~ocean
Brent
Rambo
Bluntokian
AquaticEngineer
16 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 Empty Re: Oregon Coast Temperate Setups.

Post by AquaticEngineer May 3rd 2010, 9:02 pm

The system is finally in my posession!!!! Got it chilling ( no pun intended ) in the garage until I can get the tile and carpet done inside the new house. Gotta do some painting and some stainless sheet metal around the stand and then I should be able to get water in it this summer.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 Empty Re: Oregon Coast Temperate Setups.

Post by Hero May 5th 2010, 7:58 pm

Sounds like a plan Very Happy. Can't wait to see the progress. What does the stand look like now?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer June 7th 2010, 8:31 pm

Update:

Not much progress on the tank since I got moved in Sad

I have however decided to go ahead and set it up inside of my garage for ease of water changes, noise from the chiller, ease of added electrical.

I think I will start painting the interior plastic black with an epoxy based paint, since thats the easiest/cheapset thing to start doing.

Next will be attaching the stainless exterior sheets to the stand.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer June 11th 2010, 4:10 pm

I removed the ugly single florescent light fixture that was siliconed to the front of the tank the other day.

Scraped almost all the silicone off the front edge where the light was.

Pulled the power supply for the light out from the stand.

Finished removing the old aquarium background that was glued on the inside of the tank, still working on removing the glue they used Mad

Also started painting the vent panels that go around the stand black.

Hoping to have it finished by the end of the month and get some trips in for collecting rock to cycle it this summer Happy Dance
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer June 16th 2010, 3:22 pm

Quick update:
BONUS
I picked up another marineland commercial system that is smaller for inside the house for $50

Needs some re-wiring done and a good clean but should be sweet, and for the price I couldn't pass it up.

The model is a ML-22SS, its designed to be a holding tank for shellfish. The tank measures 27x27x13 with an over all height of 50 inches.
The tank has the built in chiller and recirculating pump with the large built in reservoir, but no major filtration so that will be the first mod.

I'll try and start a separate thread for the new tank soon and get some pics up Excited
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent June 18th 2010, 3:25 pm

Sounds great! Sweet deal too. Very Happy

Where'd you get this one?
Brent
Brent
Garibaldi

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer June 18th 2010, 3:58 pm

Another score from Craigslist Smile

Most of the wiring on the new tank had been chewed by the guy's dog. Easy fix though, I picked up 3 new grounded power cables at Fred Meyer for $6. Tested the Little Giant pump that was on it with the new plug and it works great. Still have to finish wiring the temp control but the chiller is re-wired and ready for a test this weekend.

My big dilema is what to do for filtration.
It has a fiberglass reservoir bottom just like the larger tank. The drain for the circulating pump is locating in the bottom of that resevior and it has 2 return lines plumbed back through the bottom and up to the display. My first thought was to just put a canister filter in line in front of the return pump. But I'm wondering if using one of the return lines as an overflow stand pipe and puting a small sump on it with a skimmer and a place for an auto top off would be better.

Here's pics of the new tank:
Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 29461a53
Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 775448f9
Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 144c3d08
Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 3b084765
Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 60bb8a86
Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 9de1124e
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer June 23rd 2010, 8:34 pm

Here's is a picture of the smaller tank I got on CL after I cleaned it up and painted the faded plastic black. The interior white plastic is getting prepped to be painted black also.

Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 Ac38f3fc
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent June 24th 2010, 8:30 pm

I love the dimensions of the tank! The shape is really great.

-x-

I'd suggest making a thread on NR. You'll get more popularity there and more opinions and answers to any questions you have.

Last edited by Brent on June 26th 2010, 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brent
Brent
Garibaldi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacobnano June 25th 2010, 2:21 pm

I look of the tank, now that you cleaned it up especially.
Jacobnano
Jacobnano
Ornate Boxfish

Back to top Go down

Post by sivart33 June 25th 2010, 7:30 pm

ya what everyone has been saying, looks great.
sivart33
sivart33
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer June 27th 2010, 7:53 pm

Well the small tank is finished with paint now. I painted all the visible plastic to black with the exception of the return pipes. I just painted the white caps on those and left the tubes clear. Still gotta figure out how to plumb it into the larger system.

I've now started painting the large tank. I have the interior overflow/background painted and I've decided to leave the bottom of the tank white. Reason for this is that on the smaller tank the krylon didn't stick so well to the silicone at the edges, which shows the white underneath anyways. Not a big deal since there will be substrate over it anyhow, and it saves me the hassle of more painting Laughing
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer June 27th 2010, 11:32 pm

New black overflow/background courtesy of Krylon Fusion B)
Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 E14e314b

Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 43e730d7
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero June 28th 2010, 1:51 pm

You're certainly making progress. I'm impressed.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer June 28th 2010, 3:11 pm

I've been trying to get more done so I can go collect this summer while the weather is a little more hospitable. Very Happy
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by sivart33 June 28th 2010, 8:53 pm

ya, its nice to go collect on good days
sivart33
sivart33
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer July 8th 2010, 6:41 pm

Question for anyone who may have an opinion on the matter.......

I know normally temperate and cold water systems develope bacteria at a much slower rate. My 110 gallon tank has a HUGE biowheel in it normally, however the gentleman I bought the tank from threw it away thinking it was a dirty filter. Come to find out, these things are expensive to replace...........like over $300 for a new wheel alone.

I am going to have plenty of bio media in the tank for bacteria, does any one think I would really need the bio-wheel or that it would be a benefit at all?
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero July 8th 2010, 8:35 pm

AquaticEngineer wrote:...does any one think I would really need the bio-wheel or that it would be a benefit at all?

Definitely keep the bio-wheel even if you're not using it with the tank. But it might also be good to have it in the tank to deal with bio-load since temperate tanks are very, excessive, in that regard. So yes, I believe it would be beneficial.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer July 8th 2010, 8:56 pm

The bummer is that I dont have a bio-wheel for it right now. The guy I bought it from threw it away Sad

So I'm wondering if it is worth paying $300 for a replacement bio-wheel from marineland or not? Hopefully I can find something that will work in place of their model specific bio-wheel.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by sivart33 July 9th 2010, 4:19 pm

dont get a bio wheel, they are know to hold nitrates. just run without one and place some other type of surface area supplement for it
sivart33
sivart33
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer July 9th 2010, 7:52 pm

I may end up just putting a large piece of sponge in there in place of the bio wheel.

Going to pick up a bucket of salt tonight and get water in the big tank this weekend Smile
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by sivart33 July 9th 2010, 9:13 pm

ya want to see livestock in there soon Smile
sivart33
sivart33
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero July 9th 2010, 9:49 pm

I misread your post Razz. Sorry. Well then, I don't think it's worth the money.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer July 11th 2010, 4:00 pm

Update with some pics.

Filled the big tank up in the garage yesterday and cranked the chiller up on high to see what it could do. Yesterdays weather had a high of 84F and a overnight low of 60F, the tank water went in at a temp of 45F and this is the temp this morning.......close to freezing.
Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 37446_402029316055_508601055_484398

Here are some pics of the tank running, still gotta get salt in it though Embarassed
Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 36992_402029041055_508601055_484397

Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 36426_402028861055_508601055_484397

Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 2 34600_402029136055_508601055_484397
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by sivart33 July 11th 2010, 5:21 pm

that is an amazing chilling rate
sivart33
sivart33
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next