Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oregon Coast Temperate Setups.

+12
Michael Milligan
moto826
jared
steveweast
sivart33
Jacobnano
Hero
~ocean
Brent
Rambo
Bluntokian
AquaticEngineer
16 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 6 Empty Re: Oregon Coast Temperate Setups.

Post by Michael Milligan November 23rd 2010, 8:07 pm

ok, now I don't feel so bad! lol
Michael Milligan
Michael Milligan
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 6 Empty Re: Oregon Coast Temperate Setups.

Post by animalmaster6 November 23rd 2010, 8:56 pm

I love the new bat stars.
animalmaster6
animalmaster6
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 23rd 2010, 10:15 pm

animalmaster6 wrote:I love the new bat stars.

Now if I can just find a blue one....... Cool wink
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero November 24th 2010, 2:09 pm

Looking good Smile. Any chance you could post a fts?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 27th 2010, 4:04 am

Though I would share a quick video I shot the other night of my tank.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="https://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid246.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg100%2FStuwobbe%2FVID_20101124_233310.mp4">
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Milligan November 27th 2010, 5:32 am

What is it that is making them glow? What is your light for the movie.

Sounds like it was shot in my living room! lol

Michael Milligan
Michael Milligan
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 27th 2010, 2:24 pm

Laughing That was an LED flashlight, I thought it looked nice when I view everything with it so I thought I'd try and video it.

It actually made me start thinking about how I want to light this tank, I am now leaning towards just a few LED spot lights at extreme angles into the tank.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Milligan November 27th 2010, 6:59 pm

It just made me realize how to light my tank when I want to view it at night. Battery powered even! lol

I just got given a LED light on a headband. 5 LEDs of 2 AA batts. Couple more of those, a bit of glue...
Michael Milligan
Michael Milligan
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 27th 2010, 7:56 pm

I was looking on ebay earlier today for something that would work that is waterproof.
I found THESE on ebay

I think I might use these so I can wire in an on/off switch and use some double stick velcro so I can move their locations around on the underside of my tank lids.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 27th 2010, 8:00 pm

Did a search and found them even cheaper.

$14 ish dollars shipped for some waterproof LED spotlights aint bad. I think I'm gonna have to give these a try. That is definately the bonus side of having a non-photosynthetic tank, the lighting options are much wider Happy Dance
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer December 4th 2010, 3:31 pm

Got my second systems finished last week, had to get this piece cut and drilled. Cost me $20, much better than the $60+ that marineland wanted for the same.
Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 6 IMG_20101124_151821-1

Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 6 IMG_20101124_151938-1
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent December 4th 2010, 3:45 pm

Looks good. Smile
Brent
Brent
Garibaldi

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer December 4th 2010, 4:02 pm

I'll try and get a pic up of it with the rock in there. Still waiting until I have money for a good skimmer on this system to fully stock it and start using the auto feeder though.

It looks pretty cool with the 3 really large rocks I collected in there, but I cant decide if I want to take up that much room in the tank with rock.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer December 7th 2010, 9:11 pm

Ok.

Complete Craziness, I know.

I'm breaking down and selling my 50 gallon coldwater cube. The 110 will still be up and running though.

I got to see Steve Weasts tank the other day in person and I was awe-struck.

I got a few ideas, and I'm working out my budget, its not going to be as awesome as Steves, but it will still be awesome.

Stay tuned Cool
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 7th 2010, 10:29 pm

Hey can I have the cube if I pay shipping? Very Happy
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer December 7th 2010, 10:35 pm

Bluntokian wrote:Hey can I have the cube if I pay shipping? Very Happy

I got a local guy who is gonna buy it, if he falls through, I'll let you know Wink
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 8th 2010, 12:49 pm

yay Very Happy
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer December 8th 2010, 6:40 pm

Alright, local dude cant get it. If you seriously want it and want to pay for the freight let me know and shoot me a PM, I was asking $250 for it all refurbished. I'll probably post it up locally for sale in the next few days.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer December 14th 2010, 2:02 pm

The waterproof LED setup I made on the cube turned out to not be so waterproof Sad It fried a connection so I'm going to rethink that setup completely.

I may even put the cube tank up for sale soon.

I'm going to replumb the closed loop on it so I can move the auto feeder onto the 110 gallon, and I'll see if I need to recharge the r134a in the chiller. It has been having some weird temp fluctuations recently like the chiller is not working up to par. I'm going to tear into it tomorrow on my day off and see what I can do.

I moved all the inhabitants of the small seagrass tank into the cube the other day and turned off the flow to the seagrass tank thinking that was where I was having the temperature flux from since it is only 3/8 acrylic.

So I think I am going to make the cube into a seagrass/tidepool tank for the time being and get a small pendant light to hang over it. I like the look of it open topped more anyways Cool I can keep all my snails and my abalone in there for any algae that may occur and it'll be completely seperate from the main system.

Oh yeah, and the reason I started this post was because I got a new set of "waterproof" ( we'll see...) LED spot lights to try on the big tank. Gonna wire those up tomorrow and give em a test run on the big tank so I can quit using my flashlight to see in the tank, lol.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer December 21st 2010, 9:58 pm

Its a little thrown together and scatterbrained but this is whats going to happen to the cube tank for the overflow and returns.
Oregon Coast Temperate Setups. - Page 6 27x27cubeoverflow
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer December 21st 2010, 10:00 pm

Whoops double post Embarassed
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer December 28th 2010, 1:28 pm

OK, so this throws another nice twist into my plans for a custom build acrylic coldwater tank.

The guy I bought my 110 Marineland tank from is a commercial recycler and just called me to see if I was interested in another one.

I told him depending on price and condition that it was in I would be interested, and if not me I know a few people who might be Smile

Cool thing is that I'm selling my smaller coldwater cube, and my tropical reef tank this week and will have more than enough to buy this other 110 gallon if the price is right.

I'm not really sure what I'll do with it other than set it up right next to my other one and use them both as display sumps in the garage for the indoor tank, but hell that'd be cool too B)

If I buy this it'll stall the custom build by a few months, but in the end I think it will be much better having 220 gallons of sump, with 2x3/4 horse chillers 2xUV filters, 2xskimmers, 2x mechanical filtration on my system.

What do you guys think?
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by norskfisk December 28th 2010, 3:12 pm

I think you are really lucky to have that source ;-)
norskfisk
norskfisk
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 28th 2010, 7:21 pm

I agree with norskfisk. I also agree that 220 gallons would be awesome man. Go for it.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer December 28th 2010, 8:44 pm

Thats what I was thinking.

If I can pick this other tank up for $300 or less I will do it. Then I will have
220 gallons with tons of filtration and chiller power setup in the garage and established for when I build my acrylic tank inide.

I'm planning on doing a 72"x20"x20" tank using 1" acrylic for the front pain and 1/2" for the back bottom and sides with insulation attached to those sides.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next