Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure.

+3
snapperhead
4PacNW
AquaticEngineer
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. Empty Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure.

Post by AquaticEngineer November 1st 2011, 8:53 pm

Updated Video of him as of 11/5/11

Couldn't keep my little guy in a tupperware his whole life, lol.

I set up a small acrylic tank as a flow through system off of my main display and octo-proofed it last night. Currently has a very thin natural sand layer and a good pile of boulders in the middle made of 4-5 nice sized rocks sparsely covered with corynactis. This will be temporary until I get my 30 gallon 1" thick arcylic tank octo-proofed and setup inside the house. When thats up and running I'm going to go and take lots of pictures of the area I collected this guy from and duplicate that in his tank environment.

I tossed a handful of small live shrimp and a small shore crab in for him. He's still spooked and huddled in a corner but his color is back and he's breathing normally now that he's out of the tupperware prison, Laughing

Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. Th_PB050017-1

Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. IMG_20111031_183444
Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. IMG_20111031_183455
Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. IMG_20111101_132037
Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. IMG_20111101_132016
Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. IMG_20111101_131946
Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. IMG_20111101_132002
Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. IMG_20111030_122022
Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. IMG_20111030_122103
Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. IMG_20111030_122012

Last edited by AquaticEngineer on January 10th 2012, 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. Empty Re: Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure.

Post by 4PacNW November 1st 2011, 10:30 pm

Pretty cool. Maybe you could look for another one if you're going back and try to breed them; I don't think they live long. But I think they're supposed to be intolerant of any potential competition most of the time.

If your interested in having such things, I've read that stubby squid (rossia pacifica) are supposed to be tolerant of aquarium conditions and mature at 6 cm.

Btw what are those bright orange things on the right side in the first photo?
4PacNW
4PacNW
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. Empty Re: Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure.

Post by AquaticEngineer November 1st 2011, 11:33 pm

From what I have read they live upwards of 2 years, males a little longer.

I actually went on this last collecting trip looking specifically for stubby squid and couldn't find any Sad

The large oranges things are Plumose Anemones (metridium giganteum)
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by 4PacNW November 1st 2011, 11:44 pm

Well I wouldn't give up. Maybe go later this year or somewhere with less current, or both.
4PacNW
4PacNW
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 2nd 2011, 12:13 am

We went at the peak low tide of -1.5 at around 9:45pm in a bay with seagrass beds and a sandy bottom.

I figured that would have been ideal to find them, I dont think I was looking hard enough though. We all got a little side tracked when we found the pipe fish and the octopus Very Happy

Any suggestions on where to find them? Same place just focus on the sandy bottom more next time?
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by 4PacNW November 2nd 2011, 12:51 am

A place that I have seen that is supposed to have them is quite protected (the only noticable water movement is through wave-action) with some muddy shale sand and zostera but mostly fine gravel beaches with little slope.

Hope that helps.
4PacNW
4PacNW
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 2nd 2011, 1:13 am

Thats perfect Very Happy

I was in the right place it sound like. I was in Tillamook Bay near Garibaldi, OR. It was a rock and shell beach that lead out into sand/mud flats covered with areas of seagrass and kelp maybe a mile from the ocean.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 5th 2011, 3:50 am

Video I took of the little booger Very Happy

https://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/Stuwobbe/?action=view&current=VID_20111105_001414.mp4

Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. Th_VID_20111105_001414
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 7th 2011, 3:42 pm

HERE is a much better quality video of the little guy

Pretty sure its a Giant Pacific Octopus (E. Dofleini) yup, pretty sure. Th_PB050017-1
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by snapperhead November 7th 2011, 11:53 pm

Is he in his new home now ?
snapperhead
snapperhead
Round Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 8th 2011, 12:49 am

Yup, got him in there the night after I brough him home.

He's eating already too, which I was super relieved to see.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by finch6013 November 8th 2011, 11:30 pm

That octo is so cool!! I wish the little guy would have come out when I was over the other night.
finch6013
finch6013
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 9th 2011, 12:44 am

I should have just spooked him out for you, next time I will Smile

How did the rock and sand work out on in your tank? Did those corynactis open up yet?

I got a fist full of pipehorses for you when your ready Laughing
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by finch6013 November 9th 2011, 10:20 am

Corynactis have been open since I first put them in the tank. I spot fed them yesterday with oyster feast. So far they look great. I did add the sand to the crushed sand and gravel that I had already and I love the look. I'll be putting in the as soon as I have time. Thanks again!
finch6013
finch6013
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 10th 2011, 12:51 am

finch6013 wrote:Corynactis have been open since I first put them in the tank. I spot fed them yesterday with oyster feast. So far they look great. I did add the sand to the crushed sand and gravel that I had already and I love the look. I'll be putting in the as soon as I have time. Thanks again!

Right on Smile Those corynactis will eat larger particles of food easily as well. So dont be afraid to blast them with mysis, but they really seem to love the combo of oyster feast and cylop eeze.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero November 12th 2011, 9:43 pm

Having his tank next to the main display really adds some perspective on how big your system is!

How is he fairing?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 12th 2011, 11:29 pm

Doing great Smile eating and found himself a burrow under a rock.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by snapperhead November 21st 2011, 1:01 am

Is septopus still going strong..??
snapperhead
snapperhead
Round Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 21st 2011, 2:50 pm

Yup doing great Smile

The missing leg is slowly growing back and he's been eating live shrimp and crippled shore crabs. Still pretty shy, but I try and interact with him at least once a day so he'll get used to me being around and come out more often.

He had a nice little photo shoot yesterday when the local marine aquarium club was over for the monthly meeting. So hopefully I'll see some of those photos up here in the next day or so and I'll share.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by 4PacNW November 21st 2011, 3:54 pm

Don't O. rubescens have venom?
4PacNW
4PacNW
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian November 21st 2011, 4:50 pm

Yes, So dont get out of line Razz Nah I really dont know just had to make the joke >.>
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by snapperhead November 21st 2011, 11:02 pm

They are all venomous in some way but only the Australian blue ringed is deadly to humans and this little bugger likes rock pools ,would love one in the tank some day but with a 7 year old I must wait..( kids dont have a chance against there venom ,adults only just...And no antivenom availble)...

Great to hear Septo's leg is growing back ,if he was stressed at all it wouldnt be ...
snapperhead
snapperhead
Round Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by 4PacNW November 22nd 2011, 2:10 am

My point was that maybe it could take the shore crabs without them being handicapped.
4PacNW
4PacNW
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by snapperhead November 22nd 2011, 2:44 am

Well then yes and Im sure it could ,But handicapped removes a chance of injury and even a small injury can be a problem when its still a little stressed from capture and captive living and missing a leg ,Im guessing AE is just taking precautions so it gets the food required without exerting to much energy chasing a fit crab that nips back.,

Im gathering that handicapped means claws removed and a few legs .
snapperhead
snapperhead
Round Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero December 3rd 2011, 4:25 pm

snapperhead wrote:Im gathering that handicapped means claws removed and a few legs .

I believe you would be correct in this assessment.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next