Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My new tank for setting up inside the house for display.

2 posters

Go down

My new tank for setting up inside the house for display. Empty My new tank for setting up inside the house for display.

Post by AquaticEngineer July 14th 2011, 2:08 pm

picked up a tank that measures 18x26x18 and is made of 1" acrylic. Has a coast to coast overflow already and 2 schedule 80 bulkheads installed......................for $35 Very Happy

Heres the quick pics that were posted on CL

My new tank for setting up inside the house for display. 3n23k73p65O35X05S4b6tdc62b2b023a61f1c

My new tank for setting up inside the house for display. 3k93m03o85W55U15S0b6te3549587bf7e18fa

I'm planning on making it viewable from the long side that doesn't have bulkheads, and the short side, then using the spray foam to make a background that incorporates lots of empty barnicles for my Grunt Sculpin. Should be pretty sweet, and its the perfect size for inside the house.

Turns out it is Steve Weast's sump from his original coldwater tank setups, lol. I should have him sign it for me Very Happy

So I'm thinking for the stocking list in this tank I'm gonna have:

1x Grunt Sculpin
1x Sarcastic Fringehead (Maybe, havn't decided if I'm going to keep him in the big tank yet)
1x Hula Fish
Several Catalina Gobies
1x Yellow Clingfish
1x Juvenile Sole (or Sand Dab, havn't ID'd him yet)
1x Neon Green Tidal Sculpin

Going to have a sand bottom, and be more of a showcase for the interesting fish and inverts since it will be inside the house.

Inverts will include:
Lots of Corynactis Very Happy
Orange Cup Coral
Gorgonians
Havn't decided which other larger anemones yet but there may be a few.
I'll have to see what else I have in the big tanks for sure that I want to put into this one.
The best part is, I have almost all of the fish and inverts listed above already in my lobster tanks in the garage Very Happy

Once every is all finished and running on the big garage tank I can start moving over all the rock from the lobster tanks and I'll be able to catch all the fish out and move them into this small tank inside. This should all be done over the next week or so.

Since I picked up a chiller for $40 for this tank the other day, and I have the auto feeder made, I'm just waiting on getting a stand built and a couple pieces of acrylic cut for the over flow.

We did a mock up of the stand and took measurments so we know what to get cut and how much it costs. Just gotta wait for payday tomorrow Sad

AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

My new tank for setting up inside the house for display. Empty Re: My new tank for setting up inside the house for display.

Post by Hero July 15th 2011, 5:18 pm

I wouldn't get large anemones if you're planning on getting so many fish. They'll become food. I like how you decided to go with sand for the substrate. Will you be collecting sand from the beach, so you have live sand?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

My new tank for setting up inside the house for display. Empty Re: My new tank for setting up inside the house for display.

Post by AquaticEngineer July 15th 2011, 5:59 pm

Yeah I will bring in some live sand for the tank, I'll keep several sand burrowing shrimp as well.

As for the anemones, the only ones I'd have would be brooding anemones, and maybe some rose spotted. Nothing super agressive, just deep water passive anemones.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero September 11th 2011, 4:40 am

Has there been any progress on the project? Smile
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer September 11th 2011, 11:12 pm

I patched the two existing holes that were in it so I can drill a new drain and return through the bottom behind the overflow wall.

I cut a new piece of acrylic for the overflow wall so that the gaps are smaller and the water level is higher.

I traded a calcium reactor I got for free to a friend in exchange for a custom welded stand that will be 26"long x 20" deep x 44" tall. That will allow me to house the chiller, autofeeder, and external pump inside the stand.

I've identified several skimmers that will fit in the rear compartment behind the overflow, so now its just a matter of waiting for the right deal to come along.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero September 12th 2011, 11:11 pm

You are definitely making progress. When do you estimate it will be up and running?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down