Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My new display tank for the garage

+2
Hero
AquaticEngineer
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My new display tank for the garage - Page 2 Empty Re: My new display tank for the garage

Post by Hero September 12th 2011, 11:12 pm

Ah I see. It looks like it will blend in with the rockwork very well!
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

My new display tank for the garage - Page 2 Empty Re: My new display tank for the garage

Post by AquaticEngineer September 30th 2011, 2:33 am

Its all up and running, but I still gotta mess with the lighting.

Got it hooked into one of the 110 gallon lobster tanks. Selling the other lobster tank on sunday.

I was able to use almost every drop of the water from the lobster tank I am selling, so I only had to mix up 90 gallons of new water to go into the tank. Once it was all hooked up there was 220 gallons of cycled water and 90 gallons of new on the 310 gallon combined system.

I'll post more pictures of it once I get a chance to go collecting and stock it up a bit Wink

My new display tank for the garage - Page 2 IMG_20110929_205654
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero September 30th 2011, 2:36 am

That's awesome. I like the height of the tank. What are you planning on collecting in the near future?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ~ocean September 30th 2011, 2:37 am

That's very neat! Mind sharing some pics of the lobster?
~ocean
~ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer October 5th 2011, 12:31 am

~ocean wrote:That's very neat! Mind sharing some pics of the lobster?

Follow the link to the video in my photobucket album posted below and you'll find TONS of photos of the lobster tanks.

Got all the fish and inverts moved over to the 200 gallon from the 110's.

Did a little aquascaping, but really all there is left to do is paint the back of the tank ( I know I should have done it before I filled it, but I wanted to see what it looked like clear first, lol) and place a few more barnacles with corynactis on them that I have still in the lobster tank. I think I may add more sand to the left side.

Photo and a quick shotty video I took.

My new display tank for the garage - Page 2 IMG_20111004_170126

VIDEO:

https://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/Stuwobbe/Coldwater%20tanks/?action=view¤t=200gallontankoctober4th2011.mp4

My new display tank for the garage - Page 2 Th_200gallontankoctober4th2011
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero October 5th 2011, 1:52 am

You might need a little more corynactis. Wink No, but the tank looks great. Is the kelp attached anywhere?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer October 5th 2011, 2:32 am

Pufferfreak wrote:You might need a little more corynactis. Wink No, but the tank looks great. Is the kelp attached anywhere?

Wait until the Corynactis starts to fill in Wink

The kelp is attached to the foam rock work on the back side of the tank.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian October 5th 2011, 2:40 am

Tank looks awesome man Smile
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero October 5th 2011, 3:18 am

AquaticEngineer wrote:
Pufferfreak wrote:You might need a little more corynactis. Wink No, but the tank looks great. Is the kelp attached anywhere?

Wait until the Corynactis starts to fill in Wink

The kelp is attached to the foam rock work on the back side of the tank.

I said that with a touch of sarcasm. Sly In all actuality, I think you have plenty and once it fills in it's going to look great.

Does the kelp still have its anchor?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer October 6th 2011, 4:35 pm

I found the kelp completely dislodged from whatever it was attacehed to, anchor roots and all. It looks like it was attached to something rather flat previously. Next time I go out, I'll look for some more kelp that is still attached that I can break off a chunk of rock with it so I dont have to worry about it reattaching.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer October 8th 2011, 9:37 pm

I thought I would test out my auto feeder on the big tank and I hooked up one of the 2 liter bottles with live phyto and tigroprius californicus growing in it on the feed line.

I stuck a waterproof LED strip light into the bottle so the phyto could keep growing and I set the dosing pump to feed every hour for 10 second intervals from 6am until 10pm. It takes about 2 days to get the 2 liter bottle down to where I need to swap it out, but it leaves enough phyto and pods still in bottom of the of the bottle ( about a cup of liquid) that I can refill it with more new water and let it grow out again.

I have seven 2 liter bottles going now and a couple larger plastic jugs for mother colonies.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero October 8th 2011, 10:49 pm

Great idea. Is it proving to be enough food for everything in the tank? But then again, surely the fish require more.

Also, how did you collect or get the anemones off of the rocks?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer October 9th 2011, 1:21 am

I throw in mysis and cylopese also, and big chunks of shrimp for the larger anemones.

I got the big green anemones using a hammer and chisel and just taking off a little bit of rock with them. Once they are in the tank they creep off of whatever rock they are still attached to within a day or so to find something more solid.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero October 19th 2011, 12:32 am

Oh I see. Any interesting updates?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by taztank June 17th 2012, 5:11 am

that foam work looks great! how do u do it?
did you need to cure it??
taztank
taztank
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer June 17th 2012, 12:07 pm

Nope no cure time, just let it set until its hard.

It is a UV resistant spray foam designed for use in pond applications.

There are a bunch of different techniques I've figured out while working with it to get different looks, but basically you spray out the structure that you want and you cover it in a thick layer or rock salt to texture it.

Once the foam has set I use a shop vac to vacuum out the loose rock salt, then a stiff bristle brush to take off as much as I can that has adhered to the foam, then I use a hose to spray off the remaining that I can and then fill the tank with water and the rock salt just disolves. It leaves that random pitted texture that you see.

Very Happy Hit me up if you want to give it a try I can give you more specifics.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2