Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Semi Aquatic Temperate Marine plants? Anyone?

3 posters

Go down

Semi Aquatic Temperate Marine plants? Anyone? Empty Semi Aquatic Temperate Marine plants? Anyone?

Post by AquaticEngineer November 6th 2010, 2:02 pm

I have the space to set up an additional small acrylic tank on my new temperate/coldwater system and was wondering if anyone has seen or can think of any species of semi aquatic plant that grows in temperate waters?

Basically it will be similar to a DSB with mangroves, but a coldwater version. Any ideas?
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Semi Aquatic Temperate Marine plants? Anyone? Empty Re: Semi Aquatic Temperate Marine plants? Anyone?

Post by AquaticEngineer November 6th 2010, 2:15 pm

Wooo Hooo found this info online Smile

Oregon has between 1.2 and 1.5 million acres of wetlands (J.F. Watson, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, written commun., 1993). Palustrine, lacustrine, and estuarine wetlands constitute most of the State's wetland acreage. The area of marine and riverine wetlands is small relative to that in the other systems.

Coastal wetlands.--The steep slopes of Oregon's Coast Range mountains extend to the Pacific Ocean along much of the coast, leaving little area for wetland formation. Thus, coastal wetlands are confined mainly to areas of accumulated sediment near the mouths of rivers that have cut through the mountains and to the dune regions that have formed where the Coast Range front is distant from the ocean.

Estuarine wetlands have developed in the shallow, low-gradient reaches near the mouths of Oregon's coastal rivers and in their deltas. Estuarine wetlands cover about 55,600 acres, and there are about 10,000 acres of tidal fresh marsh, mostly in the Columbia River estuary (Oregon Division of State Lands and Oregon State Parks and Recreation Division, 1989). Akins and Jefferson (1973) identified three major types of estuarine wetlands in Oregon: tideflats, eelgrass beds, and salt marshes.

Tideflats (unconsolidated-shore wetlands) are mostly nonvegetated and exist where accumulations of sediment (sand, silt, clay, or gravel) are flooded and exposed daily by tides. Eelgrass-bed (aquatic-bed) wetlands are tideflats that have been extensively colonized by eelgrass, a plant that can tolerate high salinity and periods of exposure. Salt marshes (emergent wetlands) are regularly to irregularly flooded emergent wetlands vegetated by salt-tolerant plants such as rushes, sedges, glasswort, and arrowgrass. Most of Oregon's large estuaries also contain areas of diked marsh, former salt marshes that have been diked and drained. Diked wetlands are commonly used for cattle grazing.

Coastal nontidal fresh marshes, swamps, bogs, and ponds are palustrine wetlands that have formed around and in lakes and windscoured depressions among sand dunes (Akins and Jefferson, 1973). The areas containing most of the coastal nontidal wetlands are the Clatsop Plains, which extend from the Columbia River to Gearhart, the broad dune, sheet that extends from Haceta Head to Coos Bay, and the low dunes between Bandon and Cape Blanco. Isolated dune areas containing wetlands are present between Tillamook Bay and Waldport.
Semi Aquatic Temperate Marine plants? Anyone? Tst_pic20
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Semi Aquatic Temperate Marine plants? Anyone? Empty Re: Semi Aquatic Temperate Marine plants? Anyone?

Post by Michael Milligan November 6th 2010, 7:35 pm

I have often thought of lowering the level of a tank by 1/2 and planting it with eel grass. Seems like it would make a GREAT place for tasty fish treats to colonize. Wink Eel grass is the only real native "marine plant" (aka vascular plant) that one I know of.
Michael Milligan
Michael Milligan
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 6th 2010, 9:57 pm

I think I am going to plumb in a couple additional smaller tanks in front of the window in my garage and do one with the eel grass and one with a plant native to marine estuaries like sedge grass that grows with its roots in the water.

I know of a few areas that are large sand flats covered with eel grass.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero November 6th 2010, 11:00 pm

Sounds interesting. So basically a wetland tank?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 9th 2010, 1:31 pm

SOOOO STOKED!!! One of the local reefers here that has helped me out a ton just GAVE me an acrylic tank that I had asked him about purchasing.

Its measures 12x16x12h and was made out of 3/8 acrylic. He was going to use it as a frag tank but this is going to be the perfect size for my little estuary wetlands tank project Very Happy
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Milligan November 9th 2010, 5:16 pm

Awesome! Sounds like a good project! Do yo have filtration for the tank yet?

My one worry is that light level through a window is only a fraction of of the light a plant gets outside. As a rule, temperate plants can't be dug up and put on a window sill. If it were algae it would likely work, but grass doesn't work the same. It will grow long and thin until it's energy reserves are exhausted, then it will die. Sad

Supplementary light. Desk lamp?
Michael Milligan
Michael Milligan
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 9th 2010, 5:21 pm

Yeah that's what I was thinking, probably with an led bulb.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 9th 2010, 5:24 pm

For filtration this tank will be hooked up to my cooler sump along with the cube tank.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 9th 2010, 6:38 pm

Picked up the new tank today on my lunch break, its perfect size Very Happy I'll post pics as soon as I get home tonight. Already drilled and plumbed and everything Smile
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 21st 2010, 2:19 pm

I'm on vacation in Lincoln City and the storms are rolling in pretty good now, tidepool collecting is out of the question until later this afternoon at best so I'm going to go explore some of the estuaries and tidal marshes just south of here. Hoping to find some Samphire Glasswort, also called pickleweed, to grow in a tidal marsh tank I'm setting up on the new system wish me luck Smile
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down