Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi

5 posters

Go down

Hi Empty Hi

Post by naturenz July 16th 2013, 5:53 pm

Hi have been keeping temperate marines for a while now
not many sites around for this cold side of the hobby
currently have a few tanks set up, sorry I work in litres in New Zealand
TANK 1: 8 ft X 2 ft X 2 ft with 2ft cube plumbed to same sump
TANK2: 7 ft X 3 ft X 2 ft with 3 2ft tanks plumbed to same sump
reef octopus skimmers
LED lighting
breed Hippocampus abdominalis
naturenz
naturenz
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Hi Empty Re: Hi

Post by Rapide July 16th 2013, 11:36 pm

Hey! Your tanks must be awesome, so jealous... Unfortunately we here in Finland only have the Baltic sea which is brackish water, not real sea water Sad
Do you take the water straight from the sea?
Rapide
Rapide
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by naturenz July 17th 2013, 3:20 am

hi rapide, yes take the water straight from the harbour, specific gravity is 1.027 here, have to dilute it a bit for the tropical marine tanks though
very good quality water here, takes about 10 mins to fill a 1,000 litre container with a petrol driven pump or 25 mins to use the 12 volt bilge pump that plugs into the vehicle cigarette lighter
have a 1,000 litre container on the back of a car trailer, it helps that my tanks are only 500 metres from the ocean:D
naturenz
naturenz
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rapide July 17th 2013, 3:47 am

Now I'm even more jealous... 
Here the salinity is only 0.5-0.8% and it gets higher the more south you go. Near Denmark it's about 3% and after Denmark there is the Atlantic ocean. In about every 10 years we get a pulse from the Atlantic and the salinity gets higher, and then some real marine species thrive for a few years...
Anyway... Please post us some pictures or give us a link to pics! Would luuuv to see your systems!
Rapide
Rapide
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer July 18th 2013, 4:14 am

I second that! Would love to see what you have going on in those big tanks Very Happy
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by ZROGST July 19th 2013, 1:17 pm

Pictures! Pictures! Living in the desert you can imagine how jealous I am of everyone's direct sea access; getting water straight from the ocean? You all crazy.
ZROGST
ZROGST
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by naturenz July 20th 2013, 8:17 pm

New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.
naturenz
naturenz
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by snapperhead August 20th 2013, 9:10 pm

naturenz wrote:hi rapide, yes take the water straight from the harbour, specific gravity is 1.027 here, have to dilute it a bit for the tropical marine tanks though
very good quality water here, takes about 10 mins to fill a 1,000 litre container with a petrol driven pump or 25 mins to use the 12 volt bilge pump that plugs into the vehicle cigarette lighter
have a 1,000 litre container on the back of a car trailer, it helps that my tanks are only 500 metres from the ocean:D
Just a a word of warning . Run a UV filter if your using Ocean collected water, In a closed system it doesnt take much for parasites to over run the system. I have been caught out myself and lost some of my favorites before I got on top of the issue..HTH's
Looking forward to seeing you photo's ,try photo bucket and post a link on here .
snapperhead
snapperhead
Round Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by naturenz August 21st 2013, 2:49 am

Hi snapperhead, what was the problem you had?. 
i must be lucky been a few years now and no problems that could be directly attributed to the NSW.
Had to wait 7 days before posting external links.
caught this Scarlet Wrasse 2 months ago
Hi Red_zpsfbd9713c
naturenz
naturenz
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by snapperhead September 1st 2013, 2:22 am

In a closed loop system a parisite that doesnt cause issues in nature can explode and wipe out your fish. In my case it was to late to save many by the time it showed signs .
Marine ich/velvet was the problem and I have run temperate systems on NSW for many years without issue , I tried large water changes etc etc but once it was in the system it took hold.
You can dose with med's but it kills the live rock etc. 
I run a UV filter now and all the NSW is filtered through this before being added to the DT.
PS nice Wrasse how big is it ?
snapperhead
snapperhead
Round Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum