Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts......

4 posters

Go down

My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... Empty My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts......

Post by AquaticEngineer October 30th 2011, 4:34 pm

Video I took of some of the new stuff
My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... Th_VID_20111030_122359

Highlights were lots of Bay Pipefish and a perfectly sized juvenile Octopus. Theres a 50/50 chance its a baby giant pacific octopus, since theres only 2 species of octopus found up here.

Caught a couple pounds of little 1" -2" shrimp also, most of which became food but at least half of them found a good hiding spot or buried into the sand.

For size reference of the Octopus, thats a 2 liter bottle cap in with him where his dinner is hiding Wink Other that him missing one leg he's in perfect health Very Happy

My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111030_122109
My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111030_122022
My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111030_122103
My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111030_122012
My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111030_121413
My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111030_121539
My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111030_121703
My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111030_121300
My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111030_121329
My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111030_121348
My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111030_121232
My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111030_121248
My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111030_121315ill
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... Empty Re: My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts......

Post by snapperhead October 31st 2011, 5:28 am

Nice collect ,how big are the pipes ? mine are 4 inch max ,and how you going to keep the septopus in his own area or own tank?
snapperhead
snapperhead
Round Stingray

Back to top Go down

My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... Empty Re: My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts......

Post by 4PacNW October 31st 2011, 1:59 pm

In picture 7 it looks like you got some tubesnouts (aulorhynchus flavidus) aswell.
4PacNW
4PacNW
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer October 31st 2011, 2:40 pm

Some is an understatement,lol. My school of them is near 20 or so. Smile
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer October 31st 2011, 6:50 pm

snapperhead wrote:Nice collect ,how big are the pipes ? mine are 4 inch max ,and how you going to keep the septopus in his own area or own tank?

My largest are close to 12" my smallest are 3" or so.

The "septopus" ( lol, had to use that on my facebook page, it was too funny Very Happy ) is in a tupperware right now. He's going into a temporay tank today while I work on a small display tank for him that will go in the house.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer October 31st 2011, 6:52 pm

4PacNW wrote:In picture 7 it looks like you got some tubesnouts (aulorhynchus flavidus) aswell.

Yup sure did Very Happy Caught at least 20+ of them. This picture is a top down shot of my school of Tubesnouts

My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111030_121539
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero November 1st 2011, 1:37 am

Great finds! Thanks for the video.

What's the idea for the octopus display? Better yet, you should start a thread for that.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 1st 2011, 3:16 am

Will do when I start the real tank for him. For the time being I set up a 15 gallon ish acrylic tank on top of my display tank and used a power head from the lobster tank to make it a flow through system. I used some plastic mesh to cover the return, a small overflow strainer, and covered the top. Tossed a bunch of live shrimp in with him and ripped the pincers off of a small beach crab, so he should have plenty of food when he's ready to eat.

Also, most all of the pipe fish are taking frozen cyclop eeze already Very Happy
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by snapperhead November 2nd 2011, 6:59 pm

Do you know the life span of your pipes ? Its great there settling in and taking food .

I hope you have a heavy lid on that 15gallon:D
snapperhead
snapperhead
Round Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 2nd 2011, 10:22 pm

From what I have read and seen online they live about 3 years or so.

The lid on the octopus tank is an oversized piece of acrylic, I'm going to cut it down to fit correctly and put some slide lock screws on it.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 3rd 2011, 11:54 pm

Finally saw my Red Pen Point Gunnel last night Very Happy

My haul from night collecting last night: Pipe fish, Octopus, Tubesnouts...... IMG_20111102_220657
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero November 12th 2011, 9:30 pm

Cool fish! How long is it?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down