Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clinocottus Globiceps + Anthopleura Xanthogrammica = Dinner

4 posters

Go down

Clinocottus Globiceps + Anthopleura Xanthogrammica = Dinner Empty Clinocottus Globiceps + Anthopleura Xanthogrammica = Dinner

Post by AquaticEngineer May 11th 2011, 1:23 pm

On my last trip collecting I brought home a good sized Mosshead Sculpin (Clinocottus Globiceps)
Clinocottus Globiceps + Anthopleura Xanthogrammica = Dinner Globicep

I also brought home quite a few Giant Green Anemones (Anthopleura Xanthogrammica)
Clinocottus Globiceps + Anthopleura Xanthogrammica = Dinner Anthopleura_xanthogrammica_1

Now most people would assume that a Giant green anemone would just swallow up a even a good sized sculpin right?

Wrong.

Turns out that the Mosshead Sculpin is one of a handful of predators that the Giant Greens have in the wild.

I couldn't figure out why a few anemones that I have had in the established lobster tank for over a year just completely closed up since I introduced all the new inhabitants. I had assumed maybe it was a nudibranch that I just had not seen yet or something, until I remembered a research paper I read online a while back when I was trying to identify the first mosshead sculpin I caught about a year ago.

Just to verify this, I moved the large mosshead into the newly established tank that is holding all of my Giant Green Anemones and within minutes he was taking bights of tentacles. So he has now been banished to the holding tank with all the little guys until I figure out what to do with him.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Clinocottus Globiceps + Anthopleura Xanthogrammica = Dinner Empty Re: Clinocottus Globiceps + Anthopleura Xanthogrammica = Dinner

Post by 4PacNW May 12th 2011, 6:02 pm

Certain types of snails (wentletraps) do the same thing.
4PacNW
4PacNW
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Clinocottus Globiceps + Anthopleura Xanthogrammica = Dinner Empty Re: Clinocottus Globiceps + Anthopleura Xanthogrammica = Dinner

Post by Hero June 8th 2011, 4:49 pm

Is he still exiled? If you ever set up a fuge that might be a good place for him.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer June 8th 2011, 6:23 pm

Turned him into Anemone food, recycle, reduce, reuse Wink
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero June 12th 2011, 3:10 am

Shocked
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer June 12th 2011, 7:22 am

Ironic isn't it?

The fish that preys on the anemone becomes food for the anemone,

Ahhh the circle of life at its best, Laughing
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero June 12th 2011, 7:14 pm

Very ironic. The hunter becomes the hunted.. ninja
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rvs October 10th 2011, 6:31 pm

hunted by who? you?!! pirat
Rvs
Rvs
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero October 10th 2011, 11:17 pm

Definitely not by me. Okay
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer October 11th 2011, 1:46 pm

I am the Alpha and the Omega......I decide who lives and dies.

At least in my fish tank, Laughing
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum