Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growing Feather Boa Kelp (Egregia menziesii)

3 posters

Go down

Growing Feather Boa Kelp (Egregia menziesii) Empty Growing Feather Boa Kelp (Egregia menziesii)

Post by jared October 1st 2010, 2:07 am

Anyone have experience growing kelp? There is a lot of Feather Boa Kelp (Egregia menziesii) attached to small rocks at a nearby beach. I haven't been able to find out much about aquaculture for this species. I have read that, in general, kelp needs cool temperatures, low nutrients, moderate to high light, high flow.
jared
jared
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Growing Feather Boa Kelp (Egregia menziesii) Empty Re: Growing Feather Boa Kelp (Egregia menziesii)

Post by Hero October 1st 2010, 7:52 pm

High flow and light are definitely key to keep kelp healthy. Kelp definitely need cool temperatures and die quickly without. You pretty much know as much as the rest of us.

The feather boa kelp certainly is nice looking!
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Growing Feather Boa Kelp (Egregia menziesii) Empty Re: Growing Feather Boa Kelp (Egregia menziesii)

Post by jared October 2nd 2010, 2:24 am

Yesterday I collected some Feather Boa Kelp. Today I bought and installed a chiller, so my tank is officially temperate. I saw some oxygen bubble 'pearling' today when I had the lights on, which is a good sign of photosynthesis in action. My current tank is 15 gallons and I'm running a 400 gph powerhead. I plan to add another tomorrow to increase the flow.
jared
jared
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero October 2nd 2010, 5:23 pm

Sounds good! Pictures?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jared October 3rd 2010, 3:16 am

Parts of the Feather Boa Kelp started to die off, so I decided to trim it back a bit. If this one doesn't survive, I'll try again with another specimen.
jared
jared
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero October 3rd 2010, 12:10 pm

You might find that it will quickly die without similar water, strong current, and low lighting. Mine certainly did.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jared October 7th 2010, 2:43 pm

The kelp is continuing to slowly melt away. I'm going to have to do some more research about that. I'm having more success with the red macros and seagrass.
jared
jared
Bay Pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero October 7th 2010, 7:31 pm

Sadly my experience was the same. Are you sure something isn't eating it as well?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by usmanali7 January 20th 2015, 3:03 am

Logically, growth occurs at the base of the blades (meristem) in the case of kelps, and the holdfast serves only to anchor the algae. So, I'd say you could try taking just part of the meristem. Though it is usually best to have it attached if you're taking a significant amount since otherwise it is likely to float around in your tank and cause some disruptions.
usmanali7
usmanali7
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum