Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biological surface area in coldwater tanks

3 posters

Go down

Biological surface area in coldwater tanks Empty Biological surface area in coldwater tanks

Post by AquaticEngineer November 24th 2010, 5:44 pm

So my second coldwater system already has a sump full of about 5 gallons worth of bioballs that stay completely submerged except for the very top layer.

I have room in the display tank in the false bottom that sits above the coolant coil to put more media in if I want to.

The question I have is should I go with dry tropical base rock like I did in my larger system or should I put more bioballs in?

This area has a closed loop draining underneath it so any sediment should flow through into the very bottom and get returned into the main water column. The area is accessible, if need be, by removing the large display rocks and taking off the false bottom cover plate. It would be a pain in the ass, but if I had to I could.

Or I could leave it empty. Its a pretty good sized area, its 15x 11x 6 inches, so I thought I should take advantage of the real estate and put more surface area in there.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Let me know if pics will help explain.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Biological surface area in coldwater tanks Empty Re: Biological surface area in coldwater tanks

Post by Michael Milligan November 24th 2010, 6:15 pm

Sounds like a great place to add some media, but only if it's needed. Sounds like a pain to get there.
Michael Milligan
Michael Milligan
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Biological surface area in coldwater tanks Empty Re: Biological surface area in coldwater tanks

Post by AquaticEngineer November 24th 2010, 6:47 pm

Yeah I think I am going to move over some of the tropical rock that I put in the false bottom on the larger tank. That way I can see how much build up if any there is on the rocks and it'll transfer over some established bacteria.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian November 24th 2010, 8:01 pm

Yeah if you're going to do it do it now. I would fill er up but thats just because im too lazy to go collect bio balls...
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Milligan November 24th 2010, 9:04 pm

Try pot scrubbers in a mesh bag. Then you can pull them all out at once.
Michael Milligan
Michael Milligan
Starry Flounder

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer November 25th 2010, 1:02 am

I have TONS of bio balls, so I could use some in there. I just dont think I want to move the rocks in the main display just to pull up the bottom tray and clean them off. I think I have enough bioballs in the sump to where it wont make much of a difference anyways.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down