Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Article on Strawberry Anemones (Corynactis californica)

2 posters

Go down

Great Article on Strawberry Anemones (Corynactis californica) Empty Great Article on Strawberry Anemones (Corynactis californica)

Post by AquaticEngineer October 11th 2010, 1:13 pm

I found this to be a good read, thought you guys might enjoy it as well. Talks about husbandry, propogation, distribution....etc.
Great Article on Strawberry Anemones (Corynactis californica) ClubTippedAnemoneWRA1_C815
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Great Article on Strawberry Anemones (Corynactis californica) Empty Re: Great Article on Strawberry Anemones (Corynactis californica)

Post by steveweast October 11th 2010, 1:45 pm

I think this article is SoCal oriented. The corynactis in the Pacific Northwest are ONLY found in very high flow areas (flow is what brings the food)....in an average temp of 45 F (not a minimum of 59 F).....and if you only feed 2 or 3 times a month, they will waste away in a few months. There is also no mention of key parameters as Alk, pH, NO3, and PO4. I like how they say to lightly skim to keep nutrients in the water....but also, keep the water quality high. What does that mean ? and how do you quantify "high" ?
steveweast
steveweast
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Great Article on Strawberry Anemones (Corynactis californica) Empty Re: Great Article on Strawberry Anemones (Corynactis californica)

Post by AquaticEngineer October 11th 2010, 2:09 pm

I was looking for info on propagation of them and stumbled on this, have you ever tried to actively propagate them or just let them multiply on their own? I'm just thinking these would be a good item to get out there to encourage people to explore temperate tanks.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by steveweast October 11th 2010, 4:45 pm

I just let them do their thing. I've never tried to actively propagate them. That seems like a lot of work to me. That said, to me, the best way to propagate them for sale/trade would be to get a sufficient mass of them (maybe a thousand)......place small plugs around the masses.....and harvest every week. In my tank, it took about a year to get a large enough population to have new polyps everyday. I have two main colony rocks in my tank that just move from place to place. The new polyps just jump off and populate the new rock sections. If I tried to do that polyp by polyp...it would take forever.
steveweast
steveweast
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer October 11th 2010, 5:20 pm

The 3 scallop shell colonies that I have are already jumping off onto the neighboring rocks and the back of the tank. I was just think of getting some small frag plug sized colonies going to start "Sharing the Love" over here would be kinda cool Very Happy Maybe I'll just toss some of the frag plugs in next to the colonies or put some smaller rocks up next to them and let them jump. Didn't think trying to make them multiply by division was worth the hassle, but I though I'd check.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by steveweast October 11th 2010, 7:16 pm

Placing frag plugs near existing colonies is certainly the way to go.
steveweast
steveweast
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down