Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FWC cracking down at MACNA.

3 posters

Go down

FWC cracking down at MACNA. Empty FWC cracking down at MACNA.

Post by Hero September 5th 2010, 3:34 pm

Found on RC - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17609860&postcount=265. I think it's posted on NR too? Anyways... from romanr.
-----------
Attending Macna and had a chance to talk to the FWC folks. They were issuing warnings to a good many of the vendors in the exhibit hall today if that tells you how it went! I spoke to Lieutenant Brown. He basically said as things stand right now (rules and laws), anyone selling, trading, auctioning or taking frags to their LFS for credit is committing an offense and can be fined and/or imprisoned if they don't have the proper permits, licenses and certifications. He told me they have people dedicated to checking out e-bay, craigs list and now forums. If the transaction originates or terminates in Florida, they will be targeting those people. You need an aquaculture certificate if you are the one doing the fragging with the intent to sell or barter. You need a saltwater retail license if you are selling it to individuals. You need a wholesale license to sell or trade with a retail store (LFS). If you sell something you collected from the wild you need a commercial fishing license.

If you are interested in finding out more about current rules and regulations please feel free to e-mail Lieutenant Brown @ rick.brown@myfwc.com. Please be polite as I don't want anyone to give our hobby a bad name. I told him that we are basically interested in knowing the rules particularly if it involves fines and jail time. He said he is glad to spend some time explaining this to anyone who wishes to have more info. I don't want to go to a frag swap/auction and end up fined or arrested so from what I gathered, frag swaps/auctions are dead in Florida unless you want to spend a couple of hundred dollars a year for the appropriate licenses and permits.
-----------
Imagine how expensive it would be. Also seeing as most of our livestock comes from people on the coasts shipping to the inland hobbyist for trade. What stands out to me is "You need an aquaculture certificate if you are the one doing the fragging with the intent to sell or barter." for strawberry nems, "You need a saltwater retail license if you are selling it to individuals.", "If you sell something you collected from the wild you need a commercial fishing license."

I think this pertains mostly to Florida though, still it's something to think about.

Discuss Very Happy.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

FWC cracking down at MACNA. Empty Re: FWC cracking down at MACNA.

Post by J-P October 5th 2011, 9:33 am

that sucks, but I can see the point. Once reason why the USA doesn't really sell corals to Canada is because of the CITES permit. They need to establish a point of origin. With Frags, you just can't do that. BUT they should also understand that "home grown corals" should be an exception. Those people are preserving an eco-system and not killing it.
J-P
J-P
Bay Pipefish

http://www.invertplanet.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero October 5th 2011, 7:38 pm

That's a good point. After reading this again, almost a year after it was posted, it makes more sense. It clears up many of the grey areas. Home grown corals in general should be an exception in the event that one is not selling. Or, at the very least, they should be easier to obtain then wild corals for the sake of the environment.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaticEngineer October 5th 2011, 8:59 pm

Funny that this comes up, I spoke with Oregon Department of Wildlife about propogating my own anemones from the ones that I collect from the wild and they started naming off all the permits I would need and who I needed to talk to. There would be visits from the state so they could check on the "facility" and such.

Or I could legally just take 10 anemones from the wild per day for the rest of my life.

Rediculous.
AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum