Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Substrate in AZ

2 posters

Go down

Substrate in AZ Empty Substrate in AZ

Post by Reef_Logic September 3rd 2010, 12:58 am

I am currently constructing a temperate reef and need some advice on substrate choice. I live in Arizona so i could make a trip to Cali and collect my own. I just thought i would ask if there was any success to be had from trying to use something local.
Reef_Logic
Reef_Logic
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Substrate in AZ Empty Re: Substrate in AZ

Post by Hero September 3rd 2010, 1:09 am

San Diego County has some nice clean beaches for you to collect sand. I would check areas of North County (Encinitas, La Jolla, Luecadia). Newport in Orange County has some orange sand if you don't want gray or white.

I would do sand, of course that's my personal preference. Local sand in my experience is seeded and helps to jump start your tank. You often find unexpected critters. I discovered sand crabs and nudis in mine. Happy

Welcome to the site lol. I was waiting for you to finally post!
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reef_Logic September 3rd 2010, 3:02 am

Pufferfreak wrote:San Diego County has some nice clean beaches for you to collect sand. I would check areas of North County (Encinitas, La Jolla, Luecadia). Newport in Orange County has some orange sand if you don't want gray or white.

I would do sand, of course that's my personal preference. Local sand in my experience is seeded and helps to jump start your tank. You often find unexpected critters. I discovered sand crabs and nudis in mine. Happy

Welcome to the site lol. I was waiting for you to finally post!

Thank you, i was thinking about sand i just noticed more of a small grade gravel in alot of systems. Is this more east coast?
Reef_Logic
Reef_Logic
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero September 3rd 2010, 12:00 pm

I don't know about the East Coast, but I tend to think of Pacific Northwest regions having more "gravely" beaches as opposed to California. One prime example of an Atlantic Ocean temperate tank with a sand substrate is Jon Olavs aquarium.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Substrate in AZ Empty Gravel and buffering

Post by Reef_Logic September 8th 2010, 11:35 pm

do you lose the natural buffering capabilities that you would have with sand if you used small gravel. I would assume so, but i was wondering if anyone who has gravel has had problems with PH or KH stability.
Reef_Logic
Reef_Logic
Catalina Goby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero September 10th 2010, 8:43 pm

Maybe some of the other members can help you since I haven't used gravel in my marine aquariums.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down